Advice on a Micro Heli without chocolate motor

Fingerless

I have had a few Helis in the past a Raptor 50 a Hummingbird, 2 Funcopters
and a Blade 400 with the execption of the Funcopter never got them off the
ground, was going to sell them all, till one day i heard about the Blade MSRX
changed my Heli fortunes with that one was able to hover after a while,got another
in case i broke the first one, never did, the only problem is there chocolate brushed
motors, ist one lasted a few weeks, the next a few days, the heli is set up ok came back
from HH after the FET switch failed, at nearly ten pounds a pop its putting me right
off flying them, the Nano i have probably has the same rubbish motor as the MSRX.

The Blade 130 is a bit big to learn on in the living room, the motor on that seems fine
both brushless, but it does have chocolate gears, replacing the main gear with a metal one
just moves the problem to the tail gears, which will strip if you look at it the wrong way.

I need advice on a Micro Heli to learn on that has a motor that will last longer than a few
days, a Walkera or Honey Bee mabye, there is a new Blade mCP-X BL BNF but being a new model
will probably have a few teething problems.

I heard the motors for MSRX and Nano only cost a few pennies per motor to make, Hobbyking does
a motor for 3 Dollars sadly not for the Blade, even if i could get cheap motors it would be ok but
nearly ten pounds is too much for a day or two flying.

All replacement motors have failed after a short time, i was told that what looks like a low battery
light flashing is the motor failing, i was wondering if this is what the Mfat switch to fail on the
circuit board, would using a motor thats on its last legs ruin the FET switch.

I do most of my learning on the MSRX but have had the Nano and 130 up and running both hover quite
well, and after 5 years have had the Blade 400 hovering as well, so making a bit of progress.

Advert

Hi Fingerless, I have an MSRX and my experience is not quite the same. I have had to change the motor once over the last couple of months of learning and the local shop pointed out it is the load on the motor as it suddenly stops that does the damage. When I first had it the rotors did a LOT of sudden stopping, I am also learning in the front room, and since that motor change it has been fine ( also a lot less sudden stop syndrome!). The light did not flash to indicate the motor was on its way out, the motor didn't want to start without some help moving the blades. The only time the blue light flashes is at low battery. Cheers, John.