Binding help needed

jimmy bond

I am a new builder and post here when irun into trouble,which is often,being my first build.

Looking at the plans and basic manual on my DB Sport kit i will have to bind at some stage some stout piano wire and brass tube.I think this will be some balsa and some 1/8 - 3/16 ply. I have no real idea how to go about this,can i ask some questions that will help ignorance.

What is used for binding thread or wire? In the case of the ply i presume holes are drilled first,do these need to be kept to a dia very close to bining material? How many holes along a length is needed,how many holes for a inch would i need for example. And lastly sould the binding be tight up to the wire sides or span across? Thanks

Advert

I'm not sure what you mean here Jimmy.....are you binding brass tube to piano wire or do you need to bind both brass tube AND piano wire to a ply former??

If as I suspect its the latter then this is fairly simple......drill some holes about 1.5-2mm diameter so that they lie either side of the tube or wire & simply bind the metal to the wood by going through one hole, round the back, up through the other & across the tube/wire & back down again......a couple of times through each hole if you can....stitching it into place in other words. Once bound apply epoxy resin to both sides & leave to set.

A good tip is to wrap the tube/wire in masking tape before binding...just a layer or two....this helps the epoxy bond to it.

For thread then either cotton "button" thread is good or if you like I can send you some kevlar thread which works well....PM me your address if you'd like some.....

Hole spacing is not critical.....make it neat & even though.....teeth 2....& don't get them too close together or you will weaken the ply.....

Hope that helps.....what are you building by the way??

Hi steve, I am building a DB Sopwith Pup E. The manual is not meant for a novice i think.It does tell you what to do but not how to. You are indeed correct,i need to bind piano wire and brass tube to balsa and ply only.Thanks for the offer of the kevlar,thats very nice of you but in my case i think it might be wasted on me.I am trying my best but its my first build and honestly do not know how and if it will end up.I am doing a build blog,well more of a how do i do this blog with picture inc : )

I do use the search button but in this case the only hits were for binding 2.4 radio stuff!

Cheers Steve

If you use it the kevlar will not be wasted Jimmy....its no problem if you want some.....

Eddie from DB Sport & Scale is on here occasionally...or you could email him directly for advise if you like. At the end of the day what you want to achieve is the tube or wire securely fixed to the wood....binding will do this for you very well indeed....

How long are the pieces to be bound? I think if you aimed for about 10mm or so between the holes that would be fine......& drill them so they are as wide apart as the diameter of the tube/wire....this will get a better grip on the parts...

Try a few test pieces first....its quite easy to do....but practice will make you neater & more confident...thumbs up

I think it was Peter Miller who first used several strands of copper wire threaded through holes and twisted together at the back and then soldered together. Wire can be offcuts from electrical cable. Works well and can be very neat.