The Aviation Society Fair at Manchester Airport

Hey WilliowLea, yeah I think that's the very same Vulcan! I'll be on duty at one if the two stands Bury Metro will be hosting.. inside the hangar and also next to the RJX aircraft. If anyone wants to join the club whilst they are visiting The Aviation Fair, we can take card payments! Btw, the club website is www.bmmfc.com and you'll find all our contact info there.

Advert

I've just spent a couple of hours at this show, what a fantastic family day out, the weather played ball and there was a wide range of hobbies and interests represented ... and all taking place against the backdrop of the full size aviation that is Manchester Airport.

Top marks to the clubs involved (Bury and the LMA I think) they provided a wide range of models to fire the imagination of the none modellling public ... I don't doubt there will be some new blood joining the hobby as a result.

Thanks to those concerned for putting our hobby out there and showing it in a really positive and appealing way.

Edited By avtur on 14/07/2013 17:32:37

I'll echo Avtur's comments ... this was an amazing weekend. Both days was very busy and my club (Bury Metro MFC) and the LMA had simple hundreds of people asking us about our models. The LMA did a few taxi runs with their DC3 and engine runs of their big Vulcan and the VC10... all up-staged by Manchester Airport being closed for 20 mins yesterday whilst a real DC3 Dakota did a few very low passes of the Avaition Fair.. it was stunning! Lots of other stuff of interest to see also.. classic cars, buses and even trains, a craft centre, lots of aviation bri-a-brac stalls, and all the static real aircraft. Big thanks go to all in my club and the LMA for such hard work in the relentless heat over the full weekend. I've posted a few pics on my clubs Twitter page, http://www.bmmfc.com/events/tweetpage.htm

I also echo everything said about the weekend we even had the BBC there today it was hard work in the blazing sun, the Bury club did the hobby proud along with the LMA, it was a pity more clubs didn’t get involved, this is definitely one for the future. The Dakota was the icing on the cake, can you imagine the logistic to stop a fully active airport like Manchester so we could have a flying display, hats off to the organisers for pulling that one out of the bag.

Edited By LMA Dave on 14/07/2013 21:23:35

Cheers David... I've been given the dates for next years Aviation Fair already... so hopefully now everyone can see what a stunning weekend we had, more clubs might think about joining in.. there's plenty of space both outside where we were, and inside the Hangar. If other clubs want to be part of next years event then please contact myself.

Had a brilliant day, couldn't stop grinning! The weather was glorious, loads of peeps and plenty of different attractions to please anyone and everyone. Whether you are into old or new cars, cock pits, concorde, police/fire rescue vehicles, commercial aeroplanes, and of course RC models and RC cars, it had everything! I got to climb up into the cockpit of the Avro Vulcan, Tornado F3 and a BAC Jet Provost (no reverse park and I didn't crash any into trees for a change smile p)

Also a fantastic display of model trains and mini village that had us laughing our flipflops off trying to find the different character models they had, like the drunk man in the beer garden and the headless corpse by the track...(gruesome with blood effects and a head!). Lots of trade stands selling model cars and planes though not kits for building that I could see- shame, maybe that will be on offer next time, a display of RC helicopter flying and plenty of full sized planes zipping along Manchester airports runway including the Emirates A380 $320 million superjumbo jet.

Great display from the Bury Metro guys, timed it right for Dave firing up his Vulcan (deafened my mum, much to my dad's delight hehe!) kept saying to my parents " I've seen that fly! Ive seen that fly! " Brilliant! Thanks for the chat too Robert, will definately be over for the "If it can fly get it in the air" weekend.

Took loads of pictures, unfortunatly ran out of battery power on my camera phone so not too many of the old cars. Too many to load here so hope this link works. Defo recommend this show to anyone thinking of going and hopefully there will be more RC clubs there with displays next time. teeth 2

**LINK**

Edited By Willowlea on 19/07/2013 02:07:51

Will send them via email as well Robert so you can use them as you wish, just sorry there weren't more or better quality but my phone died after taking shots of the Bleriot and in the full glare of the sun was a tad difficult to see the screen (not something we hear often in this country of late lol).

There should be pictures of Dave's Vulcan in another set on flikr too at Woodford LMA last year, if you want them as well (or any problems receiving the others) send me an email will send them as soon as I can, though am out all day today and tomorrow at Cosford.

What's the dates for next years Manchester Aviation Fair? Will book them in my diary.

Edited By Willowlea on 20/07/2013 11:36:11

Edited By Willowlea on 20/07/2013 11:37:25

Cheers Willowlea !

The organisers of the event have suggested they're trying for early August 2014 for the next one, but no confirmed dates as yet. Soon as I'm told though I'll be sure to let everyone know.

See you next weekend I hope at the Bury Metro MFC "If it can fly, get it in the air" event. If you've nothing ready to fly let me know, I'll have one of the clubs IC trainers fettled for ya!

Laters

small, big, bigger... The Typhoon is from my club (Bury Metro MFC), the DC3 is from the LMA, and the Avro RJX is from the Airport! Notice the deck-chairs under the RJX's wing... that's where the LMA chaps hid away from the sun!

lma.jpg

Edited By Robert Tomlin on 24/07/2013 22:56:35