Variable pitch propeller - Pilatus PC-21

Hi,

I would very much appreciate a piece of advice on how to measure current draw ( method and equipment) from a Hacker motor (A 50- 14S) to set optimal pitch on a variable pitch propeller ?

I have a Seb Art P-21 Pilatus recently fitted with a 13" - 5-blade Varioprop from Ramoser which I need to select a pitch setting on. The power set up includes a Master Basic 70 SB ESC and a 5S, 4000mah LiPo.

Anybody with a similar model/variable pitch propellar that could advice me on tha matter would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Kristian Aareskjold

Tananger/Norway

Kristian,

I don't have any Variable pich props, but do use a variety of props on a new set up to get the best one for the job.

I would recommend an inline watt-meter with current display as the measuring tool, these are available from giantshark in the UK, and there must be a Norwegian supplier, or you could get one from HK.

I would then set the prop at a fine pitch, measure current/wattage, adjust and repeat. obviously removing the battery while adjusting.

What the 'best' pitch will be will depend on what you want the aircraft to do....

I hook a cheap electronic luggage balance tethered to the back of the plane and attach that to a secure mount on smooth ground. Then you can experiment with different propellers and in your case the pitch whilst watching the power input from a wattmeter. Its never going to tell you what the plane will do in the air at any speed but its a good starting guide.

Of course this only works with a plane with an undercarriage.

i have an axi evp unit for 4d , on a heli setting and with a watt meter hooked up i gradually increase the pitch curve till the watt meter reads the maximum rated amperage of the motor, i dont know about your unit but i found it didnt take much to affect the setting, heat ,cold a hard knock and the amps would go up and down , very fiddley and very annoying