Ikarus...Supply Problems

Harry Wilson

Hi,

Not sure if this product is sold in the UK ( I live in Munich); but thought I'd ask. Ikarus are a German company who I believe pioneered electric helis so I thought I'd order their latest Eco 8 model the Royal. The Austrian company I ordered it from showed the item as out of stock but when - after paying - I queried the delivery times they told me it was "unavailable" with no fixed delivery date from Ikarus.

I'd read somewhere that delivery of Ikarus spares was flakey so I queried the situation with Ikarus. They told me they were short of one part and might (they were "hopeful" be able to deliver at the end of the month - no guarantees however.

With many years of project management experience behind me I think I know what "hopeful" means - nothing!...at least nothing I can rely on.

Anyone have any similar experiences with this company. I am an intermediate IC heli flier keen to try out a leccy version. Should I be looking at a different product, if so what?

As usual all help very welcome.

Best

Harry Wilson

Advert

Hi,

Thanks for this Frank. Sounds good but I'm on Hitec 2.4 so a BnF would not be an option. I'm looking for something I can fly outdoors accepting perhaps, being electric, not in a stiff breeze. Not sure how much this narrows down my options these days. I learned on a Shuttle and then a Century Hawk. Something of that size would be ideal but cost is also a factor and I see quite a lot of variation on price from model to model.

Harry

• 8 months later...

Hello,

Sorry for taking far to long to get back to you on this but the 450 3D turned out to be an excellent choice. Very important for me at least was the issue of setting it up as a trainer/sports model. I have no interest in 3D flying (each to his own eh!) but with the right set up this machine performs very well. I have had problems with the motor bearings which failed far too early in my opinion and from what I have seen on the net this is not an uncommon problem. All in all I am pleased to be back into flying Helicopters (at 60+) and electric ones at that...so much more convenient. Thanks for the good advice.

Best Regards,

Harry Wilson