Building the 'Teslaquad'

Tony Read

A while back I was trawling through YouTube when I came across a guy called Christopher Telford. He is into multi rotors in a big way, and I was blown away by his flying. His YouTube channel is well worth dipping into. Here

Anyway, I stumbled upon the Multi Rotor UK forum and discovered that Chris was producing a small 'sports' quad made from carbon fibre, fibreglass and plastic nuts and bolts. It is designed for 12 amp ESC's, 2100kv Brushless Micro Motors and something like the multiwii flight controller. Hobbyking (and others) stocks these parts.

Chris can describe his concept much better than me:

The quadcopter is designed to be strong, sturdy and rigid for acrobatic flying and general throwing around. I've used 5 inch props and 2200kv motors to design a quadcopter that will be very maneuverable in small spaces - ideal for chucking around a small park or large garden.

The frame is over-engineered for strength and rigidity. I've test flown these above concrete and had more than a few crashes. The fibreglass works well to absorb shock and the carbon fibre arms are thick enough that they are very unlikely to break. The nylon fittings are the weak point of the design - and the cheapest part. In a bad crash the nylon bolts are designed to break away making for an easy and cheap repair, hopefully saving the more expensive parts like the motors or the fibreglass/carbon fibre.

Having seen his quads fly so well on YouTube I wanted one so duly sent of my hard earned. What arrived was quite a small packet, but spreading the parts out I was impressed by the quality of the fibreglass cutting.

telsaquad 01.jpg

Whilst the motors etc have yet to arrive I could not resist putting the frame together. There are no written instructions yet, but if you follow Chris's excellent vids here you will have no probs. It is, after all, a Meccano set for blokes.teeth 2 I can confirm that he is very helpful and will answer all your questions.

In short order I had the motor mounts together (they will have to be taken apart again to put the motors in).

telsaquad 02.jpg

Next came the frame. Again its just the case of bolting together.

telsaquad 03.jpg

I could not resist slipping the motor mounts on and making some appropriate 'quad' noises. teeth 2

telsaquad 04.jpg

That's as far as I can get for now. Can't wait for the motors etc to arrive.

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

Posted by Tony Read 2 on 09/05/2013 10:30:08:

Motors and ESC's have now arrived at last from HK. Was going to reflash the ESC's but the gizmo is out of stock. That nice chap Chris is going to do it for me. Top bloke!

Lee - want to see a test report/vid on your new quad! teeth 2

Ah that is very nice of him to do that for you =]

I will do a video for sure, i got to wait for my TX and batterys/charger to come from HK international ... so i think its the wait that will dely a test flight (crash) =[