Help with Hitec connection issue

I have 2 gliders, (Wildthing & Whisper) with Optima RX's and using an Eclipse 7 Pro TX, also an electric model. I flew the Wildthing & Whsper from the slope yesterday, no problems at all.

This morning I took delivery of a Minima 6E RX and fitted it into my Synergy glider which I already had in my model memory as one of the Optima RX's had been in it previously. The Minima bound perfectly and all controls operated as they should.

Flying conditions were good so off to the slope I went this afternoon and decided to chuck up the Wildthing but, nothing, not a peep out of the controls. I checked the Optima RX and the light was red and solid so I tried re-binding but still no joy so, I got out the Whisper. Same with that too. The only model responding was the Synergy with the Minima RX.

I have previously done a TX and module update back in January, taking it to Version 1.03 and all had been working fine until today.

Like most things, there is probably a simple reason and cure, but I don't know what it is, so I'm hoping someone on here does. The only thing I can think of trying is to delete the Synergy from the model memory and starting again.

Steve

Advert

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 16/04/2013 18:38:13:

I have 2 gliders, (Wildthing & Whisper) with Optima RX's and using an Eclipse 7 Pro TX, also an electric model. I flew the Wildthing & Whsper from the slope yesterday, no problems at all.This morning I took delivery of a Minima 6E RX and fitted it into my Synergy glider which I already had in my model memory as one of the Optima RX's had been in it previously. The Minima bound perfectly and all controls operated as they should.Flying conditions were good so off to the slope I went this afternoon and decided to chuck up the Wildthing but, nothing, not a peep out of the controls. I checked the Optima RX and the light was red and solid so I tried re-binding but still no joy so, I got out the Whisper. Same with that too. The only model responding was the Synergy with the Minima RX.I have previously done a TX and module update back in January, taking it to Version 1.03 and all had been working fine until today.Like most things, there is probably a simple reason and cure, but I don't know what it is, so I'm hoping someone on here does. The only thing I can think of trying is to delete the Synergy from the model memory and starting again. Steve

There are different methods of ID-Setup beween Optima (Transceivers) and Minima (Receivers). This because the Minima do not receive a transmission stream. If the set button was held in to long, then you would have lost the ID-Setup with your original models.

Please reset both your Optima and Minima, paying particular attention to the minimum separation required between Tx & Rx antenna and Tx LED indicators for the two different unit. Please refer to the most up to date, nowadays printed material is often out of date before a product is sold,  online ID-Setup pictorial guide:

. Hitec AFHSS ID-Setup (Bind) Spectra Module V3.01(0), Optima Transceiver 6, 7 & 9ch V2.02(0) & Minima Receivers - quick reference.

. Hitec Eclipse 7 & Eclipse 7 Pro - All Manuals, Addenda, Quick Setup, CCPM and Additional Programming FAQ will also assist.

Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky: Aurora A9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers
- FAQ & Undocumented Features

- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Edited By A.T. on 16/04/2013 22:30:07

Alan, I have another question you may be able to answer.

All the update instructions I can find refer to using a PC for updates. Since I don't own or have ready access to a PC (confirmed Apple user) does the update work when using a MacBook? I want to buy a module as I'd like to keep my Aurora up to date with latest .... er .... updates. There's little point in me spending money on a HPP 22 if I can't use it. I haven't found a difinitive answer.

Ian

Posted by Rentman on 16/04/2013 23:06:00:

Alan, I have another question you may be able to answer.

All the update instructions I can find refer to using a PC for updates. Since I don't own or have ready access to a PC (confirmed Apple user) does the update work when using a MacBook? I want to buy a module as I'd like to keep my Aurora up to date with latest .... er .... updates. There's little point in me spending money on a HPP 22 if I can't use it. I haven't found a difinitive answer.

Ian

I'm very sorry to hear that your are a Mac user. It's a very unfortunate situation to be in, with a lot of hardware not working unless its either a) expensive or b) ancient. The situation is getting a lot better than was the case a couple of years ago, but a lot of kit still doesn't work - or if it does, without the full functionality compared to a Windows machine. I can totally sympathises to your dilemma on such problems, as I myself currently typing this on my MacBook Pro which I unfortunately have, as Apple require you to have a Mac to develop on iOS devices. It's one of the few cases where an Apple product can be useful over a Windows machine (only thanks to typical Apple arrogance).

Anyway in answer to your question, the HPP-22 is a pretty simple USB device, so it may work through Parallels or VMWare Fusion. I haven't tried as I don't have either on here - as I just use another machine for Windows (this MBP makes a handy paper weight). If it doesn't, the only other solution will be to use bootcamp and boot into a proper operating system (one that you can get actual work done in) - i.e. some flavour of Windows.

devil

In answer to Steve's original question, it looks like you may have accidentally gone into the dreaded Scan mode when switching between Optima bind mode to Minima bind mode. If you accidentally release the bind button when powering up and then push and hold it again, the transmitter will rescan to find the best frequencies to transmit on. Effectively a "retuning" mode. Even worse, if you go into this mode, it can choose a number of channels that are similar to what it was before retuning and but loosing some of the hopping channels - thus the link integrity.

Si.

I couldn't wait till tomorrow so I read the binding instructions again, paying particular attention to the Red flashing light needed for binding an Optima RX and a Blue flashing light for binding a Minima RX.

So after binding my Minima, I went to the slope and didn't pay attention to which colour light was showing when I turned on the TX. In this instance it was Blue. If I'd paid attention to that I could have just pressed the Link button for 2 seconds so that the Light changed from Blue to Red and I'd have been ok with the other two models. I've just done that now and everything is functioning as it should.

Phew embarrassed

It doesn't matter which LED is flashing in bind mode for normal operation. If you bind a Minima receiver last and then restart the transmitter to subsequently use a Optima receiver in normal mode, it will work fine without changing between the bind modes.

To enter scan mode, you go into normal receive mode and push and hold the bind button. As you can imagine, if you think your in bind mode when you do this, you can easily cause it to happen. I think most Hitec users have done it at some point!

On the new forthcoming Aurora 9X, they have very handily hidden this scan mode away in the menu options instead - preventing it from accidentally being activated.

Si.

Posted by Rentman on 16/04/2013 23:06:00:Alan, I have another question you may be able to answer.All the update instructions I can find refer to using a PC for updates. Since I don't own or have ready access to a PC (confirmed Apple user) does the update work when using a MacBook? I want to buy a module as I'd like to keep my Aurora up to date with latest .... er .... updates. There's little point in me spending money on a HPP 22 if I can't use it. I haven't found a difinitive answer. Ian

Unfortunately, whilst watching all areas daily, am still unable to change the information shown below:

Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use
..(includes Screenshots & Current Firmware Versions for all related Units).

extract"
12. Mac PC ?
Mac PC users - run with Bootcamp, Parallels, VMware Fusion or similar. e.g:
Use Boot Camp and load Windows to use the HPP-22 .
("we will work on allowing the user to download the update so an internet connection is not required" as below)"

In a similar situation, Local Hobby Store checks/updates firmware free of charge for units sold by them or a minor service fee for others. Perhaps your store or others within your club will assist.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Edited By A.T. on 17/04/2013 21:44:34