Futaba 14MZ a dead radio?

John Clark 2

Andy -quoted from an earlier post of your's...
"ALSO - There is lots of chat on every forum I've visited. Still no comment from the manufacturers OR distributors about the same old questions we're getting here".

Almost ALL the chat on the other forums that I use ( 3 others )the "chat" seems positive. As for responses from manufactureres or distributors - what exactly are "the same old questions that we are getting here" ?
The only questions I ever see are things like
1) will the aerial be ok inside carbon ?
2) Is the system full range
3) how does the "binding process work"
4) what about service /repair

The answers to all these have been given many times across the forums, and also whenever I have contacted Horizon Hobbies via email - I receive a detailed answer by return, usually within 24 hours.
As I have stated on other forums, the set appears to do "exactly what it says on the tin". Just because the new set ( DX7 ) does not provide quite as many whistles and bells as the creme de la creme sets, is not a justifiable reason to condemn it as naff - as some people have done.
(not quoting you here... smiley inserted )
PS the glider guy you mentioned Mike Shellim seemed rather positive about it actually. Granted, he states it is probably not for the out and out top end glider stuff, but we know that !
One thing is for sure, it has provided excellent forum thread debate :) :)

The biggest problem with the new Spektrum 2.4Ghz Spektrum equipment is that it is proprietary. You will be investing in only one manufacturer/brand, and the RX/TX won't be compatible with anything outside of that. That can prove to be very expensive if you ever want to switch to another manufacturer. Spektrum have indicated that they have no interest in creating or sharing in a communications standard which would enable cross-platform compatibility. That makes commercial sense for them at this time, seeing as they are the only ones in the aero market. However, I want to see the offerings from Futaba and Hitec - before spending money on any new 2.4Gig equipment.

Yes that is very true. However, as pointed out by others also, it STILL represents excellent value for money. I wonder also whether WHEN the other players bring their 2.4 stuff out, if it too may require same brand receivers. As for investing in one brand, people have been doing that in many arenas for years - including R/C.
Brand loyalty is very high ( albeit by choice ) especially amongst the top end gear like Graupner , and Multiplex.

I agree that it is good value in comparison to existing PPM and PCM offers when looking at the convenience and safety of a secure comms channel at all times.

W.R.T same brand equipment - thats exactly my concern. If the rest follow the Spektrum example, then we'll be forced to pick a brand and stick with it. Unless Futaba, Hitec, Sanwa, JR, etc. get together to create a digital comms standard for spread-spectrum control, rx's and tx's WILL be brand specific - limiting you to that manufacturers range of products. They may not have all the options you need, in which case you would have to re-purchase all your remote control electronics from another (brand specific) manufacturer, or live with feature limitations.

I like most other enthusiasts, have a substantial investment in 35Mhz equipment and getting me to part with that and go to the 2.4Gig stuff is going to take some convincing, when there is only ONE manufacturer of 2.4Gig aero products.

The argument is not with the concept of 2.4Gig operation and it's benefits, but whether the manufacturers will co-operate (as with PPM) to the benefit of us modellers. Mmmmm...

Yes that is a good point, and I did agree with you - I am NOT particularly favouring the Speky stuff beyond reason, I have NO commercial interest in the gear at all.
Of course, it would be nice
( but not essential )if in the future we could mix and match our receivers, but providing that the ones produced by the "parent" company proved satisfactory, there should be no real need to. I would not dream of fitting generic components to my current car, as apart from the quality issue, the guarantee would be void. The reason we do so now with our R/C stuff is because of the huge variation in performance, features and reliability across the range of variants. If my chosen radio manufacturer can offer me the specs I want in his receiver, I will happily ignore the rest.
Of course the other thing is that IF and whenever someone decides to go 2.4, then whoever they are and whatever their gear - the 35Mhz receivers instantly become redundant. I have only one model currently ( and do NOT foresee this changing ) that requires all 7 channels, so this limitation is not a concern for me, and dare I say, probably the very vast majority of flyers. I have yet to know the flyer who can use all channels on his 14MZ.
Sure....some LMA stuff will maybe use that many, but these often have a co-pilot with a seperate transmitter anyway.

Interesting...... :)

BRING ON THE SMILIES ADMIN !!

Just a note guys I have just started looking at these Spektrum radios and I have to agree with the comment that no charger is stingy I would also like to have a larger battery. There is also a comment on how to make the radio more efficent on using its power has any one also read any articles. It was an article from the US

The 1500 nmh supplied is more than adequate, as the drain is far lower than that of a "normal" set.
The article about improving "efficiency" is I presume the one about changing the onboard regulator for a switching reg, rather than the standard linear jobby.
1) This mod was only suggested for the DX6 not DX7 -for the reason I stated earlier
2) ANY alteration to internal components will instantly void the warranty.
3) The component concerned in the DX7 is very tight to access / remove etc, and I DO NOT RECOMMEND FIDDLING.

I for one, will definately welcome the new technology.......... if it works as promised, AND, it's taken onboard by the leading manufacturers. I've no doubt it will be released by them shortly, but I think, common sense is telling them to wait and see what the outcome is with the DX7 being used in crowded fields. In other words.... let someone else do the testing!!!

I also welcome the technology. Aerial size is relative to the wavelength used and the orientation ( horizontal and vertical ). The range of this system and frequency used does have significant advantages. The 35 Mhz aerials are not very efficient.
Looking at the pics I've seen of the DX7 teh aerials appear to be dipoles which are usually based on 1/2 wavelength as opposed to the usual 35mhz wire aerials at 1/4 wave.

regarding brand loyalty and standardised systems, pcm systems are manufacturer specific and cannot be mixed as the digital encoding is different.

I was almost tempted to purchase but as a JR user, I am sure that commercially the main manufacturers must produce a system at least as good to remain competitive.

AR6000 IS compatible with DX7 tr, but will only be rated at Parkfly range"
The ONLY setup approved for use with any model and giving a claimed 3 mile range is DX7 Tr and AR7000 receiver. I personally would NOT use a 6000 receiver in any flying model - and I have several so called park flyers. DX6 is NOT DSM2, and therefore has no channel redundancy as the DX7 does. IF I was gonna fly JUST my Bell47 chopper in the back garden....then I would say ok to the AR6000.

further to my previous posting regarding the use of dipole aerials on the DX 7 I have just looked at the Spektrum website and glanced thru the documentation. As the receiver uses 2 channels to check the incoming signal(s) there are 2 (1/4 wave )aerials per receiver, 4 on the AR7000. The orientation of the AR 7000 aerials should be at 90 degrees to give both vert and hor signal reception.
the information that may be important to many people is compatability of AR7000 with the DX6 tx. I can find no info as to DX6 output power.
If owners have a DX 6, will the AR7000 work with it and what are the consequences on range?
many modellers may opt for the cheaper entry level but the purchase of another radio (tx) is a dis-incentive.
Now the 2.4 ghz band is available to modellers around the world the main manufacturers will no doubt produce equipment for this band as it will make manufacturing easier (and cheaper!!).
I will watch this space with anticipation.

I have been using Futaba radio's (some high end) for a long time and I like the programming style and as I have a lot of money invested in my current 35 mhz radio's I would be more interested in a 2.4 ghz modules for my radios rather than invest all over again in the Spectrum although I would consider it for my electric models only , but on that basis alone I would need to buy 7 extra 2.4 ghz rx's, so I think I will wait an see.

Promotional literature I have read says fail-safe on all channels, but in a forum learnt that according to one participant, only one channel can used for fail safe. The lack of charger, (hardly a high price item!) a bit of a drawbac. The price could have been £20 more to cover that surely? Further snag, "Line of sight". Don't fly behind trees I guess, or stand behind someone else!
I concur with others, will wait and see how it is generally received by amny users.

I have just bought the dx7 and I am impressed with it so far. Regarding chargers I agree that for the price one would have expected its inclusion. I have all Futaba gear and plenty of spare chargers and it is only a few minutes work to cut the Tx charging lead and solder red to black and vice versa ~ instant DX7 compatible charger.

Firstly - Line of site is NOT an issue. I deliberately flew one of my AR7000 equipped models behind trees, and also stood behind my helper on more than one occasion -absolutely no problems.
I agree the lack of charger is a bit stingy, but then many people have already got a suitable charger for other stuff, after all, unlike the 14MZ which uses lipo, the Spekky has a standard 1500 ma NMH
Failsafe. When binding the receiver to the tr, throttle should be set to low /off, and other controls neutral. IF the set enters failsafe, ( or is switched on BEFORE the tr ) the throttle will go to the preset low position. ALL other controls hold last known good position, they DO NOT move to any presets.
Dont know about the 2.4G video equipment first hand, but Do know that Horizon state that there will be no issue with other 2.4GHz equipment due to GUID.( globally unique identity )
I understand some peoples hesitancy about the gear, but all I can say is it has been perfect so far in all 3 models I have installed it in. 17 flights now in all, not a single glitch - even in my "hard to cure" EDF. ON one model I even stuck the main receiver onto the ESC !! Try that if you dare on a 35 meg system ( NO DONT ACTUALLY )
I remember all the sceptism about PCM and computer radios when they first started appearing...someone has to be brave enough to pioneer these things, otherwise we would all still be flying galloping ghost stuff ( ask your DAd ) :)

I just think the cost involved for me at the moment to change over to Spectrum would be huge. I would be very keen to use it my EP models but I would rather have the new micro RX when it comes out and I hope thell will do a deal with just the micro rx. My local model shop tried to tell me I could just plug out the second RX as supplied with the DX7 and it would work fine (it would be smaller). He would not be the first or second person I would ask for advice but has anybody heard of this.

I have heard of people doing this, but it results in loss of reception security, and range. The second receiver is really tiny and light anyway, ( approx the size of a postage stamp )and I for one would NOT remove it. You may as well just use the 6000 receiver instead....again....loss of range. I was also a bit concerned about the size / weight issue of fitting it intomy smallest model (EDF Sabre ) but the difference between the 2 x AR7000 receivers and the schulze 535 was actually negligble AFTER I accounted for the savings made by removing the 3 ferrite rings I had needed before . Also,I was able to shorten the cables from ESC to Battery, and this saved a few more grams too. I guess I am lucky that I onlycurrently have 8 flying models, after a lay off of several years, and several of these will stay on 35 MHz for wifey to learn and use.

Timbo confirms my previous information; only throttle goes fail-safe,(low throttle) the other servos hold "the last good signal". NOT acceptable! Consider this scenario; plane at some distance but heading towards pit area or spectators, intention being to turn at a safe distance.Goes fail-safe and descends into folks, admittedly at low throttle, but how heavy and how quick does it arrive? Some of us old codgers are a bit hard of hearing and might not hear warning shouts, or be spry enough to jump aside in time!
Many years ago I saw someone hit by a gliding pylon racer, stove his ribs in.Only the fortunate presence of a doctor dealt with a punctured lung to avoid a tragedy.