Futaba 14MZ a dead radio?

John Clark 2

I have to confess to not having tested one of the new radios yet, but here are some of the comments which have been relayed to me from people who have bought them:

Limited mixing functions; throttle trim working in reverse and unable to programme it out; unable to fully programme the fail-safe; some sets delivered faulty with low range; using antiquated and complicated computer system; unable to switch via computer between heli and fixed wing mode, or between Mode 1 and Mode 2 (... or 3 or 4);

However, it is proving to be popular with folk who don't mind the set's limited computer power --- and who actually have a set which works at full range.

I have every confidence that the new 2.4Ghz concept will catch on, but I am waiting for the sets to "grow up" before buying one.

When the major radio manufacturers get involved, things will begin to improve.

B.C.

Hello Brian...thought we might see you here (winky)
Mixing is "limited" to 6 free mixes-which I would have thought enough for most folk ?
My throttle trim is fine ( cheesy grin)
I think the set you refer to with the throttle trim problem was the same one which was giving range trouble -it was after all purchased direct from a US supplier, and despite paying a fair bit less than us who chose to support our UK dealers, .. there may be a moral there (wink )
I have not personally heard of more than one that exhibited the low range problem -as you did say "some sets". Seems that the set had a faulty aerial mount /connector and has now been exchanged.
I dont know about antiquated - but it is not that difficult to program it - it is pretty much a JR interface after all
( wink again )
Mine switches quite easily between heli and fixed wing mode - done in the early screen as you switch on - perhaps the user has not mastered the art of holding the correct button sequence ??
Granted - the set cannot be changed between flying modes...however I do not see that as problem for most people. I appreciate that SOME peeps fly fixed wing on one mode, and heli on the other...but that just serves them right for trying to fly a bloomin eggbeater ( big wink )
Just thought I might add my .02p worth in balance. I actually HAVE got the set, and find it very good -especially with electric models, where glitching is now completely eliminated, AND I have chucked out the ferrite rings etc. On one model the receiver is actually stuck to the ESC !
try that with a 35MHz if you dare !
Remeber also folks..... this set is NOT at the same price point as the top end 35MHZ stuff - it is available in UK for £230, including full range receiver, AND 4 Digital servos ...not bad I reckon.
It will NOT replace the 14MZ, was never meant to, but it is still a damn good radio in my experience. I too have a top end 35MHZ PCM9X and look forward to the modular system,at wehich point the Speky goes to wifey.
CAN YOU INSERT SMILIES ON HERE ??

I'm glad my comments stimulated a bit of debate, which is what they were supposed to do!

I am aware of course that the 14MZ has extra features but as David said, the majority of pilots won't require them. Obviously the scale boys who like lots of channels and features will continue with the 14MZ.

I was a bit disapointed to find Helger don't supply a charger in UK sets. This has led to the blowing of a few internal fuses due to people removing the pack and bench charging it, then maybe not re-installing it properly or similar. I also think the lack of a charge rmight put some beginners off because they probably won't have a bench charger at home.

What do you guys think about this?

No actually - he wont.( insert face with protruding tongue here ) :-)
Horizon hobbies confirmed in writing to me that they work fine within any fuselage, including carbon.
I presume Andy that you have actually tried one of the sets, in order to condemn them so quickly? I would have thought that at least some of the unique features are of definite "use" to ANY flyer....such as model match, no channel clashes, and of course, an end to shoot downs.
Anyone who has suffered from either being shot down, or shooting someone else down, knows the feeling all to well.

I'd have been more impressed if they'd released it on a higher specification radio. Yes I've flown one and the transmitter feels unbalanced, the functionality is low, the mixing limited and the set up difficult to install in a competitive glider fuselage. Mike shellim (www.rc-soar.com) has posted some notes pending his review.
I'd like to see Horizon Hobbies flying it in a shielded carbon fuselage before I risked a grands worth of glider to proove them wrong!

When I can select flight modes without switch restrictions, full span camber, differential reflex, crow braking and reduction of differential under CROW i'm in!....

Andy, yes of course it's only a JR 2610 as far as basic computer tx functions are concerned...and in looks too. It doesn't meet your rather more demanding requirements. So I guess the manufacturers have pitched their first offering at the club flyer - the largest segment within the hobby.
If it sells well then it stands to reason that the range will be expanded and hopefully other manufacturers will come on board. You can't escape the fact that at £240 including 4 digital servos, it's very well priced. If I was in the market for a FF7 ?

Brian, the airels are short because they don't need to be long, we're talking about 2400MHz here. The range is proven to be beyond visual.
In a funny way we need to re-condition our brains to accept that our models don't need a long trailing ariel with 2.4 spread spectrum. It's natural I guess after decades of long ariel models :-)

Hi David,

Yes, I know that the aerials don't have to be long, but, bearing in mind the radio is very much a line-of-sight connection, I was just concerned that as a result of the short aerials, they could be screened by a carbon prop whirling around on the front end of the model.

My concern may well be groundless, but have any tests been done with a big carbon prop turning yet?

B.C.

As stated earlier the aerial is NOT affected by carbon or metallic painted fuselages. I have it installed in a metallic painted EDF fuselage, which the manufacturers themselves warn "do NOT run the aerial wire down the fus, as the paint is an effective shield for the radio signal" My first few flights with this model used a conventional alpha schulze 5.35 35MHz receiver, and I did run the wire down the fus....just to see the result! Glitch counter on the schulze indicated "at least 12 reception errors" every flight ( approx 5 )
Aerial was then re-routed externally, but with about 4 inches still inside, and alongside the flight pack. From between 4 -6 errors and glitches were experienced every flight, one or two distinctly visible brown trouser moments too.
Aerial then re-routed AGAIN, straight out the fus, up a 4 inch plastic tube, and straight out free hanging, as per schulze recommendations. The odd glitch on the odd flight, but better.
Spekky AR7000 ( full range ) installed. Receiver sitting ON the ESC !!!
Every flight perfect ( approx 9 flights )
to date. No ugly aerial showing AT ALL, range checks done exactly as per manual instructions, ( 30 metres model on ground )
Got 50 big strides away before any effect noticed at all.
I can understand your concern about using it in an expensive big glider.....and NO it wont compete with your dogs danglies set, but as David says....this set is pitched at the mass market - your average club flyer - and in this sector it does damn well! As you say, show me the proof that it flies OK inside an expensive carbon glider - I say...show me ANY 35 MHz set that gives this much performance inside a metallic, 49000 RPM, Electric model. You couldnt. Case closed.

I'm sure it is but I can't help wondering why they didn't release the Spektrum at the same time as a higher range set instead of a park fly and a full range version. ALSO - There is lots of chat on every forum I've visited. Still no comment from the manufacturers OR distributors about the same old questions we're getting here.

I have seen the new spektrum in operation indoors and am impressed by its' cure of 'glitches'. The club I belong to has had trouble with an idiot deliberately jamming frequencies causing the loss of several models ( myself 3). With the spektrum this would not have happened(if the technical info is correct). I have just purchased a JR 2610 for increased model memory. If I had known about the spektrum then I would have gone for that. The spektrum appears to use the same case as the 2610. Ah well, I will wait now till other manufacturers jump on the band wagon and the price comes down.