Digital servos - are they really worth paying extra for?

Posted by Glyn R on 24/04/2013 16:42:33:

I have used small digitals because they tolerate 6 volts better than analogue. the ubiquitous 9gramme servos are often not happy on 6 volts. I like to use 6 volts to give more headroom for the 2.4ghz Rx. O f course you dont have to pay.

See here

Edited By Glyn R on 24/04/2013 16:45:38

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 24/04/2013 17:05:16

Yes, those are the ones I have in my Pulse 125, I thought I would try them (they are cheap!!) as they have great reviews - so far so good....Rich

Edited By Dickster on 25/04/2013 20:12:01

Surely its horses for courses, when choosing servos, or anything to do with our sport for that matter.

99% of you out there will have far greater experience in choosing servos for a specific job, but I have done my homework when it comes to fitting out my models especially the bigger ones.

Digital servos come into their own when it comes to big control surfaces that need the preciosion, timing and torque, whereas standard anno servos are still good for the club sports models.

I would say the Pulse 125 is a borderline model when it comes to choosing servos, it will be fine on std anno, but would benefit from digi ones. there was one at our club untill recently (untill its fin parted company), from what I remember it was fitted out with anno ones the first time I saw it, but was "upgraded" to digi later on, and I must say it didn't effect the chracteristics of the model so much, but it just seemed crisper, snappier, smoother, but that may just be me.

I think you have to decide what you want out of a model and follow the path that will give you what you want.

yes, i only went with those digi ones because they were cheaper than futaba analogue jobs, if possible i usually go for the servos recommended for the plane by the manufacturer....Rich

Edited By Dickster on 25/04/2013 20:47:41

Edited By Dickster on 25/04/2013 20:48:07