Digital servos - are they really worth paying extra for?

i dont use anything but savox micro/mini servos in my smaller planes from the first flight i used them i could see and feel the difference and they are not as expensive as you think . i seen some one flying a 50cc petrol job with 3003 on everytthing which is just plane danerous . for what you can get a good high torgue digital for it def worth it

In the old days LOL, we used to have nothing else but standard servos such as Futaba 148s, and we all flew models as big or bigger than that with them. And I might add, the standard radio supply battery in the model was a simple 4 cell 500mahr pack. Gawd these kids today eh LOL

Savox definitely get my vote. Put a pair on my Acro Wot for aileron use, and wow the roll rate is amazing and unlike some digitals they dont seem to spend all the time on the ground 'buzzing' or hunting for centre.

But then again i have also used 3001/3003 on all my other models upto 4 stroke 90. Never had stripped gears or any crashes due to failure. Plenty of crashes due to dumb thumbs tho!! Can you get digital thumbs yet?

Posted by Tim Mackey on 23/04/2013 21:58:06:

In the old days LOL, we used to have nothing else but standard servos such as Futaba 148s, and we all flew models as big or bigger than that with them. And I might add, the standard radio supply battery in the model was a simple 4 cell 500mahr pack. Gawd these kids today eh LOL

Wow! Tim, your last comments made me smile out loud!

Try FD16m on my first set of Futaba 6M, these were red or black for left and right movement!

plus a luxury of a linear servo to.. I was reading (drooling actually) over an old mag from 1975 over the weekend, some lovely old kits etc. I could nt afford the ones I really want then.. so to be reading this about Digi now caught my attention.. would have loved a 3001 or 148 when I started out..

Would only use Digi if the control surface demanded this precision and strength...

I don't see why analogue servos should be "dangerous" compared with same-size digital ones. I use digitals on my helis on the channels that are controlled by gyros (i.e. all channels on my flybarless, and rudder only on my flybarred) because of their faster reaction time. But everywhere else I use suitably-sized analogue ones.

Digital servos, I believe, react faster and hold their position more accurately than analogue ones. But we're probably talking about nano-seconds and minute movements so, personally, I don't see that they're worth the extra money for a Sunday-afternoon club flyer like me.

We must never forget that the faster reactions, higher accuracy and better holding power come at a price. That price is in battery consumption. With digis, if we don't pay proper attention to selection and care of receiver battery, switch and wiring, then we can cause problems and have an installation that is actually more dangerous.

Chris makes a good point.....just to add to that its worth remembering that what really matters is the ability of the on board battery to supply the necessary current without dragging the supply voltage down too far. In this regard it really is the case that bigger is better. Physically small batteries such as AA cells can struggle to maintain their voltage under the transient loads imposed by powerful servos....dont know

Another point. The analog servo's I have all 'jump' when energised on turn-on. If they just happen to be at the limit of throw (say a closed throttle, CROW brakes eyc...) then damage to the servo is a distinct possibility. Whereas the Digital's I have don't 'jump'. I think it was Slopetrashuk who highlighted this issue in a thread on setting failsafes. To date this hasn't been a problem for me - but worth bearing in mind.

Ian

Edited By Rentman on 24/04/2013 09:58:45

Posted by Area 51 on 23/04/2013 22:24:51:
Posted by Tim Mackey on 23/04/2013 21:58:06:

Wow! Tim, your last comments made me smile out loud!

Try FD16m on my first set of Futaba 6M, these were red or black for left and right movement!

plus a luxury of a linear servo to.. I was reading (drooling actually) over an old mag from 1975 over the weekend, some lovely old kits etc. I could nt afford the ones I really want then.. so to be reading this about Digi now caught my attention.. would have loved a 3001 or 148 when I started out..

Would only use Digi if the control surface demanded this precision and strength...

Yes I well remeber the red and blue and linear ( they were v good actually ) servos - I was merely making the point that there is a lot of snake oil around this hobby of ours these days.

The only thing I would add is that the price of a typical bog standard servo back in those days, would probably be able to buy a few really nice powerful, metal /karbonite geared, digitals these days, so its a no brainer really.

I quite like analog servos because the slower movement makes the plane fly a bit smoother in my expeience. Equally where rapid speed is required nothing beats a digital.

The small Savox servos are cheaper because they're not made to the same standard as the normal size servos. The Savox 0256, for example, are the same as the ones used by Align in one of their smaller choppers (I think the 250) just rebadged.

I think that for the average club flyer, in the typical model, didgitals are completley un-necessary. The very vast majority of flyers would never be able to tell the difference in response /speed time and for anything other than perhaps high performance heli tailends, they are snake oil.

I would say that if you believe that paying £277 a metre for premium speaker cables can really deliver VFM, then go buy expensive digital servos for your models!

Basically the only advantage with Digital servos is thier holding power the power to the control surface varies with movement on normal servos but its more constant with digitals. Digital doesn't affect speed, it just tends to the that top spec servos are digital.

Speed and torque are the biggest factors in choosing a servo. I can't speak for others but I can easially tell the speed of a fast servo vs a slower one.

There are so many servos because they all have a time and a place that suits them best.

I have used small digitals because they tolerate 6 volts better than analogue. the ubiquitous 9gramme servos are often not happy on 6 volts. I like to use 6 volts to give more headroom for the 2.4ghz Rx. O f course you dont have to pay.

See here

Edited By Glyn R on 24/04/2013 16:45:38

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 24/04/2013 17:05:16

I'm having a play with some of these Corona servos. 8kg,cm metal geared....they just happen to be digital. Pretty impressed so far.....

The main reason I went for them is they are suitable for higher voltages & thus help to reduce my paranoia about using a 2S LiFE battery to power the on board radio...

The irony here is that being designed for up to 2S (7.4 Volt) Lipos they are a little slower on a 2S(6.6 Volt) LiFE battery....thinking

One day SOMETHING will work out My way....sad