The Seagull E-Pioneer thread

Jon

Advert

Hi Timbo Yes it is an outrunner,its been suggested that I remove the prop and run it without to see if it could be the resistance of the prop that is coursing the problem.Then raise the size of the prop,what do you think.Also the problem has slowly become worse after several flights and crashes BRC checked the ESC and motor but that motor had burnt out,so the problem is still there with a new motor.Ive had variuos other electric with no problens like.The ESC isa40 amp and the max watts is about 430w and the amps well below 40!Thebattery is4s rhino3700 20c series.The motor,ESC and battery were  supplied as set for the pioneer as recommended by BRC

Last Night I carried out the following,No prop ,Perfect,10x5 prop OK but if you go up and down with throttle quickly slight sqeal but motor contnues.An11x5.5 prop very similar an11x7 prop totally unacceptable.The BRC test goes up to 12x8.At full throttle the watt meter shows550 watts at 37 amps, the battery voltage was15.9v

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys,

Having only just found this thread and read with interest your thoughts and ideas, i would like to add my pennies worth. I too have a Seagull "E" Pioneer in the hanger waiting its turn on the bench, it will be powered by an Emax 2826 06 and have an Emax 60A ESC, I already have the Vmar X-treme stick powered by this combination on a 4s 3200 lipo turning an APC "E" 13x6.5 prop.

This model takes off very quickly and goes up at 45 degrees and I get between 7 and 10 mins of flying depending on throttle use. So I think this combo with a 12x8 on 4s and 12x6 on 3s will be perfect for the E Pioneer. I will let you know how things turn out, I have in hand a couple of light 4000 3s lipos and if i get balance ok i might put both in in parallel and have 8000 on tap, should give some duration dont you think

Welcome to the E-Pioneer club Phil... mine got me my A ticket just some weeks ago.... I am able to do quite a few tricks with it now but it dont like inverted flight!... great at hovering with its nose to the wind...

you'll have fun.

jon 

Hi Jon,

This is to be a fun model for me and to train others with on days at the club that only permits electric flying, as you might realise i am a little further on than being a tyro pilot. Having said that the E Pioneer is a new inovation of suitable travel companions for holidays, and I want to be able to demonstrate it to new flyers who may not want to go down the nitro route.

Heres hoping it flies as well as all of my other models.

Phil

Hi Ben

If you don't want to use the servo to drive it (I didn't) I made some bent bits of wire from an old coat hanger  and fixed the ends under the 4 screws and wound it up inside the coiled spring. It worked but was a little untidy.. Sorry don't have a pic of it.

You could fix a dowel rod inside the coil and then fix both sides with bent bits of coat hanger to the 4 screws...

It will not matter if there is a little play left in it, could even help a bit on an untidy landing

Jon 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ben,

This won't matter unless you have a problem with the alignment of spinner / prop to the nose of the model (too long). I have many Emax motors and run them like this, you can cut the shaft down if needed, but take care with how you grip whilst cutting. Which model is the motor destined for? as this motor is very powerfull when used with an APC"E" 7x5 and 3s.

Phil

Ben,

Do you have a Watt meter you can use, this will give you an idea of the current draw on your setup, my Emax 2812 on 3s lipo and 7x5 APC"E" draws a little under 10A for 98W, fitted to my Concept models Shark "E" is very fast and fully aerobatic.

If you aim for an all up weight of 12ozs or less it will fly well, however try an APC 8x6.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...