Weather balloon with tracking

Our science club are busy putting together 10 indoor fliers, and so will be busy for a while, but I am thinking about their next project. I remember seeing a number of programmes where various people have bought weather balloons, filled them with Helium and released them. These balloons will rise rapidly to the edge of space, but also show wind conditions on the way up. They eventually burst and fall back to Earth many miles away.

My idea.........and as usual I am miles out of my comfort zone here- is to do this, but the balloon (as per the TV) is carrying a box containing a camera and GPS tracking- allowing us to follow the balloon and retrieve the box. Ideally I would like the balloon to transmit live video feed and GPS data back so we can all watch it as it happens. The alternative would be that we get the video once we retrieve the box. The obvious worry is what if we lose the box- and hence the camera. Extra sensors such as temperature would be interesting too.

Has anyone any experience of doing something like this, or the kind of equipment that would be suitable? Budget isn't as tight as you might expect for a school project- but if we could get everything back it would help!!

Advert

Andy - maybe try doing it based on a Raspberry Pi type micro computer - then the project includes programming, sensor integration and other 'pratical' things.

Diagrams and software is available open-source via the Raspberry Pi website, and they are a helpful bunch over there too.

Olly

• 2 months later...

Can't you get mobile phones with trackers installed that you give to children? Hang one of them from your balloon and you should be able to get a geofix with a call to it. Assumes 3G signals can reach that high, but phones have been known to work from aircraft, haven't they?

Max