Problem with charger for NimH AA cells

kc

I discovered the charger I use for my camera batteries didnt seem to charge properly. The charger is a small portable one that I take on holiday to charge individual AA cells for use in cameras. Make is UniRossSprint 110 to 240 volt AC input and it's for NimH and I use it for charging Vapex 2300 indivdual cells. Previously it was used for normal nicad cells but some went dud so Vapex were purchased.

Sticking the probes from a multimeter into the charger output produced 4.97 volts. 4.93, zero, .0.61 in the four positions which surprised me! Presumably this is faulty, but why should it vary at each position. With cells in place it showed 1.5 volts. Whats going on? Could the high voltage have wrecked the old nicad cells? Or is it normal with no cells in place?

Of course I could just charge the cells on my Overlander charger which I use for Lipos etc but I want a small charger to take on holiday, so I want to get to the bottom of this.

Advert

charger mite put out 5v and then reduce once it under load

if you can watch voltage on you overlander when you plug in a 4 pack of aa you see the voltage go quite high until works out what connected and the draw thats needed

it dose sound like you got 2 bad change sockets what haapens when you put batteries in ?

Thanks for your comments Crispin. When 4 cells are inserted the voltage is 1.40 on each individual position ( the cells are at 1.30 volts each when outside the charger ) even on the position which showed zero. So this is puzzling me.

It's worth mentioning that this charger has a red LED to show if the cells are connected ( just one for all the 4 cells ) and green one which shows full charged. The red one goes off if a cell is disconnected, and stays off until the cell is connected but if only 2 cells are being charged it glows red. It somehow senses when a cell is inserted but not quite connected but doesn't notice empty positions. I suppose there is an explanation......