Cambrian Spitfire

Hi all,

I have Spitfire fever at the moment, and I fancy a Cambrian sport scale Spitfire for after my exams (and after the Jester for the keen Jester fans of you!). It is a nice size and good for our less than suitable field, I am thinking a Saito 62 for power and she is great value, especially for such a great shape!

Have any of you had experience with her? Also, I'd like to fit some electric retracts, so do any of you know which ones would be suitable (she's 1/8 scale)?

Thanks!

CS

PS. I will model RR232, because no one else has and she was the last aeroplane to be completed at Filton airfield, home of Concorde, so she'll be in the scheme of the day she flew from Filton days before the airfield was closed. Here she is in action.

"Silence- In Polish!" Great film!

Blimey, not much interest in this! I need some retract advice, any electric ones to suit? Otherwise the Warbird Replicas ones will do, but I would prefer electric ones.

I'm also thinking about schemes, I love RR232 and her Concorde connection as previously mentioned, but TA805 is rather tempting with her nice stripes...

Any other MK IX schemes that you like please post!

Tally ho!

CS

I suspect that not many folks would have built one of the Cambrian kits recenly CSB - they were quite popular a few years ago I remember. Tended to build up well into a good practical model - veneered foam wings I think.

Wouldn't a Sato 62 be a tad over the top powerwise? I seem to recall them mainly being powered by 25-30 two-strokes?

BEB

PS - A set of the E-flite retracts would probably be fine - but would end up costing nearly as much as the kits I guess!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/05/2013 00:10:36

I can't advise on the Cambrian Spit I'm afraid, as I've no experience of it.

But, have you considered retracts from Hobbyking? They're much cheaper and there are multiple sizes/types available: Retract

BTW. On the video of the full size Spit, I thought it was interesting that she landed without deploying flaps, is this common?

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 21/05/2013 11:20:09

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/05/2013 00:09:49:

Wouldn't a Sato 62 be a tad over the top powerwise? I seem to recall them mainly being powered by 25-30 two-strokes?

This is the bigger one, 55", (so not the 42" funfighter) and this is recommended for 46 two stroke. And physically the 62 is the same size as a 45, so it should fit nicely. If not then we have many a Saito!

The Hobbyking retracts look good, they'll probably be the ones I get. Do you know which ones would be correct for 55" span and 5.5-6 lbs?

CS

PS. I think the reason RR232 landed without flaps is because she had a massive runway there and it was the first flight, all the ones I have seen at Duxford have landed with flaps.

PPS. From school the thread is way under the ads!

PPPS! Some scheme ideas would be nice!

Quiet bunch at the moment!

Anyway, Cambrian are getting some retracts sorted (great job!) and when they have I'll be ordering the kit. She'll be started after the Jester, I'll put a thread up since not many have heard of this plane and there is no build on here, and as usual I'll be making some changes, retracts and some extra scale detail won't hurt. Should be fun!

And I think I will do TA805, the Kent Spitfire, those invasion stripes set her off to what I think could be the best looking Spitfire ever, alongside P7350.

And I think some Battle of Britain quotes may crop up...
CS

• 1 month later...

I shall be very interested to see a build blog. Normally I draw and build 1/12 scale WW! aircraft from depron from scratch and have learnt many lessons over the last four years of this pasttime however, my wife came back from a boot fair last week with a "suprise" for me. It turned out to be a Cambrian spitfire kit 55" wingspan complete and unassembled in its box deciding that we couldn't have anymore ww1 aircraft hanging from the ceiling in the spare room. Also she thought I should move onto a different construction, she being an engineer! No instruction book though but it looks interesting albeit twice the size of any exisitng plane I have. It cost £20 so maybe its a good buy. Looking forward to a blog. I'll probably be about a step behind you! Good luck Martyn

Hi, I have built two of the Cambrian Spitfires, a MkIX and MK24 as well as a MKIX waiting to be built. I put an OS FS52 up front of the MKIX. the maiden flight ended very abruptly as I pulled back too soon and not enough airspeed and she nosed in. Flight no 2 was more successful after being repaired but on landing my spring air retracts ripped out. The wing section of the Spitfire is very thin and at 55" span you do take a lot of meat out of the wing. I know that the plans and instruction suggest retacts can be added and I followed the instructions. At the time i was able to order a spare set of wings. I put E-Flight electric retracts in my MK24 very simple to install.

Build lightly, especially the tail end, the ply sides are heavy. I covered both of mine in tissue and dope.

My Mk24 has not flown I'm still making excuses of why not to fly her.

Martyn, I still have the building instructions and plans if interested.

Here's a couple photos of my Mk24.

could be 60 years ago in Hong Kong!

Hello again CS, I've found the only photo I have of my MkIX also in the photo is my Cambrian Hawker Hunter, Flair Puppeteer and plan built Sea Fury.

the 3 ages 2 (1280x966).jpg

And here's a photo of the office of my MK24.

The office

I still have what is left of my MKIX in th attic, one day I might get round to repairing her. At the time I was on 35MHz and was shot down. The wings are easily repairable but the fus has shattered. I keep meaning to take copies of my spare kit, one day I will.

Regards

Robert