Electronic power cutoff timer

Tom Mann

Hi all

I'm looking to build an ultra simple plane with no ESC, just a full power electric run with timed cutoff.  Scouring the web I see lots of nice things that seem to do half of this but then connect to a 'relay' which connects to a leg bone and a hip bone. e.g. http://www.hobbytron.com/CK002.html

Being quite lazy, it'd be nice if someone would sell me a gizmo that I can rig up to my existing circuit of battery+on/off switch+motors (presumably instead of the on off switch) where I could twist a knob to set it to 10 secs or a minute of power depending on size of field... 

I don't understand whether it would run off the main power cells or off some aux cell.

anyone crossed this bridge already?

tom

I reckon all of these 555 based timers will need coupling to a relay of some sort in order to handle the large current you are requiring to switch. What is you objection to a relay? What current are you wanting to switch?

Why not just use an ESC's inbuilt ability to shut off the power when a preset voltage has been reached - this in effect is exactly what you want to do isnt it ?? If weight or size is the issue, then again, I reckon a small ESC will be less than any relay based switch. If its miniature type stuff you are playing with, and relevant miniature currents, then something deploying a SCR and 55 timer could probably be fashioned up.

• 8 months later...

I geddit - so I just buy a small capacity battery whose voltage will drop off in the timescale I'm after - or indeed a programmable ESC where I can specify the cutoff voltage if there is such a thing. 

good idea boss

Still not as user-friendly as a cox with a walnut sized fuel tank though... what with having to recharge or reprogramme ESC for subsequent flights off a single charge.

Would have thought there might be a small market for a bespoke 'thing' where you specify the number of seconds of runtime, for free flight toys

tom