Jodel D-120

john melia 1

bit more done , wingtips now glued and clamped to centre section and aerilons cut out

just a few question sad on the plan it shows just one servo , mounted in the centre section with pushrods running through wing rib holes to bellcranks in the tips ,

but i want to put two servos in , so do i locate both servos in the centre section and still use long pushrods out to the wingtip sections , or could i put a servo in each wing tip , picture of wingtip below

Advert

thanks pete , in the instructions , eddie says its up to the builder whether or not to glass the tip where the root of the tip meets the centre section as in the photo above , i was just wondering whether or not i would need to do this because of the extra weight of the sevo in each tip .

Posted by Percy Verance on 16/06/2013 20:19:01:

That's ok then John. My flying colleague used a Savox mini servo in each wingtip John. Works very well. Don't forget to leave holes in the ribs large enough to pass an extension lead through...... and leave a bit of thread in there to pull the extension through.

I'd be tempted to reinforce the joint with a strip of nylon about an inch or so wide, applied with either pva or aliphatic glue.

percy do i put the strip of nylon tape over the ribs , or wait until its sheeted and put a strip over the sheet , sorry for the dumb questions but i'm a bit out of touch with building 28yrs to be exact surprise

Hello John,

You have been busy this weekend.

Dihedral join: What I would do is to cut a plywood piece to glue alongside the wingspars. You can use a hacksaw to cut through the rib to slide this into place. I would use what was to hand, .5mm should be enough as it is so close to the wingtip. (less flight loading out there)

Tip: make a template from a bit of cardboard (cereal box) to get the shape right, and then transfer this to the ply.

If the doubler extends to the adjoining ribs, this will be more than strong enough. (just cut through one rib)

I dont like using tape as it is unsightly on the surface.

Charles

just tried the futaba 3001's but they seem too big , even sitting more or less on the sheeting the servo horn would still be proud of the lower sheeting , i have two protech super micro's which are the same spec as the ripmax sd-200 ........................

Dimensions (mm): 25.0 x 29.5 x 13.9
Weight (grams): 16.0
Speed (sec): 0.14
Torque (Kg.cm): 2.50
Ball Raced: Yes
would these be powerful enough for the aerilons

Hello John,

Sorry work has got in the way. I will try to take some pics tonight. Search this forum photos for "aileron servo installation, and aileron servo tray. I found some nice pics of a CAP but I dont know how to post the link! This is the neatest way, mine just stick out underneath.

Regarding bandaging the dihedral join, if the model has doublers, I do not see the necessity, as the loads out near the wingtip are very low compared to a central joint. I have just conned my son into doing a calculation in this regard, the result of which is "about thiry percent of the load on a central joint" So there! This is for normal flight loads, cartwheels are quite a different matter