voltage regulator plus switch harness

No call me dumb, but I just can't fathom it out, but there again this is my first i/c installation.

I decided to use lipos as a power source for the rx in my Stampe, so went along to my LMS and bought a suitable switch harnes (Futaba HSW-J) HD type and a voltage regulator (Etronix 5A 6v).

Now I just thought it would be a simple case of plug A into B into C etc, but actually none of it makes sense, none of the plugs match and neither have come with instructions.

Now if all else fails I do have a 5 cell pack sitting waiting as back up, but I would rather do it this way (call me stuborn).

So if any of you knowledgable lads and lasses know these products and can help, please do, before I pull my last tuft of hair out!

Advert

I actually have the dualsky version of that in my Sebart 50E, works very well, even all the plugs were correct and it took 5 mins to install.

I may just go with the 5 cell for the time being as I really want to maiden it this weekend, its just been too long now and needs to be in the air, even if only once before Greenacres.

Thanks for the offer Brian, I will let you know.

Edited By Dylan Reynolds on 06/06/2013 21:15:31

Hi Dylan. I have been using just that set up in a few models for a while now and although it is a fiddle to set up, it is worth it. You need to either do what I did and get matching connectors for the regulator, usually sold as a pair, and use them to connect in to the switch harness on the rx side. Alternatively you can just hard wire it in, but I wanted to be able to swap them about if necessary. Not sure if there is a right and wrong way, but I wire them in with the female connector to the switch and the male connector to the rx. On the battery side of the switch I used the same connectors for the switch harness and lipo, 2mm plugs, obviously make sure they connect properly(!) and there you go. If you need, I can get some photos in the morning and post showing the set up in one of my models. I get several sessions out of a 2s 1000 mA lipo before I charge it with around 5 or 6 flights per session. I have 3 lipos which are used in which ever models I take (I only ever take 3 models max because of space) and charge them when they get to around 50%. I also use one in a model with an orange stabiliser in and it copes very well on it. The only issue I have found is that some of the smaller servos do not like 6V an so a 4.8V regulator is used. Hope his helps. Cheers, John.

cheers John, thanks for that, a pic or 2 would be very helpfull and much appreciated.

6v shouldn't be a problem as I am using Savox 252MG servos, but also running on board glow with proportional control via throttle mixing, but I dont think this should cause too many issues. I will be hard wiring in I think as once its all set up that it, not going to be messing around with it, get it flying and move onto the other 4 projects on the go lol.

Just a thought, as I am looking at the front of the regulator, does battery go into left or right hand side? and I presume its battery to regulator to switch to receiver? Also on the switch there are 2 wires one side and one wire on the other, which is input side and output side?

I do have an idea, but as its my first installation I just want to be sure

I have had a very handy man around the last 2 nights to help with the engine and tank installation and throttle set up, (thanks Raywink 2), but I can't keep imposing on the same chap, he has his own life and models to sort, so if you want to see this bird at Greenacres, heres your chance to help get it there devil

Hi Dylan. It is battery to switch to regulator to rx. That way you are cutting off power to the regulator (and rx) which will have quiescent drain ( always draining battery ) if always connected to battery. The pics tomorrow should make things clear. Cheers, John.

Hi Dylan, photos as promised. The first couple are as good as I could get to show the components mounted in my Wot 4. If you look closely you can see the connections and follow the wires from rx to regulator to switch to lipo.

Photo 1

Photo 2

The final photo is with the spaghetti tucked away and the components mounted on velcro in the model.

Photo 3

You can get rid of a lot of the excess wire if you hard wire the regulator to the switch harness. If you need anything clarifying just say. Cheers, John

ok just not getting anywhere with this, don't know if its because i have just had the worst day at work and my head is mush

I think I may have a break, fly tomorrow and come back to it fresh (or drag someone fom the club over to do it for me - Ray?! wink 2)

Edited By Dylan Reynolds on 07/06/2013 20:22:26

• 1 year later...

Like Dylan

I am trying to connect one of these 6v regulators and no matter which way I try and I bought 2 of them I get 8.24 volt going in off a 2s lipo, and I get 7.77v coming out of the regulator. I have tried to follow the connections on John's picture but I can still not get it to work. Tried with switch and without. The regulator is a 6v 5A model. Why can they not include some instructions. Does anyone have some idea of what I could try?

Thanks

Ron, can you post a link to the unit you are using or at least give the make and model? If it was just the one I would say that it sounds to be faulty if it is specified as a 6v output unit as there's not a lot to go wrong - LiPo connects to the input side, receiver to the output.

Just a couple of things - is it a linear or switching regulator and are you measuring the output with no load? Is it possible that with no load the output could be floating. Even a load drawing just a few milliamps might be enough to show the true regulated output voltage.

Hello Bob

The only info I can give you is, it is a regulator distributed by JP Perkins bought at one of the on line model shops. All the info on it is: LIPO Regulator input voltage - 5509889 6.0v version 7 - 25 volts@5amps and Output voltage 6.0vand amperage at - 5amp.

These are sold at a lot of the shops and when you get them there are no instructions, so the best I can do is as follows, I have only done a test with no load:

Etronix Li-Po Regulator 5A 6V Hard Cased

Etronix Li-Po Regulator 5A 6V Hard Cased

This great little unit allows the use of any battery from 7 to 15 volts to run your Receiver or ignition.

• Works with all battery chemistries ie LiPo, Li-Fe, Lion
  • Input Voltage - 7.0v to 15v
  • Output Regulated Voltage - 6.0v
  • Output Amps - 5A
  • Weight - 20g
  • Size - 20x14x49mm

Hi Ron, I don't know too much about how they operate, but if you see the regulator as a funnel, the larger connector is where you put in the power (female connector) and the smaller connector is where the regulated supply comes out (male connector). I'm not sure if you can damage them by connecting up the wrong way, but I connected all mine up that way and had no problems.

Hello John, just had a few emails from the shop I got them from and I have set it up as you have said, looking at the face right is in and left is out. Not sure why the manufacturer or supplier could not add that info somewhere as stupidly I have gone with them the other way round, followed the writing. Anyway I have got them working and they can now go in the planes. By the way do you know what the input voltage can be? some of them say 7-25v and then later on it says 7-15volts.

I Amy be shot down, but why bother with the regulator? I just use a life 6.6v battery, just need to check that the servos can take it, I tend to use Futaba which are ok with the voltage., hi tec seem ok too. Then I just plug it into a normal switch.

Hi Ron, not sure what the volt range is, but I have used them on 3 and 4 cell lipos and they have been OK. I use them also in electric models where I tap off the connectors to provide a feed to the receiver and this has more chance of preventing a problem if the ESC goes AWOL.

John, thanks for that, I was just wondering about adding 3-4s lipos to the regulators. On the 2s setup I am also trying to put an on-off switch in the system and as I read above it should go between battery and regulator but if I look at the so called heavy duty switch it doesn't look man enough to take the amps, any suggestions.

I have done that but some-one raised the question about whether the switch could handle the peak loading, I am not clever enough to work that out, I just want to make sure it doesn't fail. There was a suggestion made about not having a switch but that would mean taking the canopy off after each flight. Any ideas?

Well, I only use two cell lipos through a switch and as such haven't had any problems. It would be a good idea to avoid using the cheaper switches available. The ones on the 3 and 4 cell lipos are disconnected when I change the battery after each flight so the problem doesn't happen there. One of the problems with anything like this is that you can read an awful lot of stuff and expect a lot of bad things to happen. My experience is that I haven't had any problems with the batteries, switches or regulators.