Canberra or P1A

Building very light in Depron reduces the power required to the point where an EDF with scale inlet and tail pipe becomes a possibility.

My Depron V-1 flies well although it does have the advantage that the Argus pulse jet was very inefficient so the jet pipe diameter was larger than it would be for a turbo jet.

So my challenge is to build a scale EDF with scale inlet and exhaust ducts.

My first choice was the Canberra. This a B2.

B2 colour

An elegant and aerodynamically efficient design.

My thoughts were to place a 55mm fan right at the front of each engine nacelle (as I did with the V-1) with a 55mm diam jet pipe.

The only problem is to scale the result would be huge - 2m span and just over 2m long! I am sure it would be possible to keep it under 1kg all up but it is just too big.

The next possibility is another not often modelled English Electric design the P1A - the prototype Lightning.

English Electric P1A

Exactly the same dimensions as a Lightning F1 except for the cockpit and the not very elegant nose intake but atleast the intake is big.

Nose intake

Not far from the combined size of the jet pipes so good for an EDF.

So a single EDF buried in the fuselage with a scale size bifurcated jet pipe.

Hmmm!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 10/06/2013 15:05:51

Advert

Mowerman

Well almost anything with big turbo fans is a candidate for an EDF but that is too easy. wink 2

To 'prove' my theory on super lightweight EDFs I was looking at planes with slim axial turbo jets.

In fact I will build the P1 rather than the P1A. Identical except it did not have the ventral fuel tank.

My initial "guesstimate" for a P1 with a 55mm fan would be 30" span and 42" long.

The biggest problem with a large full length duct is how to squeeze the battery in!

With a bit of work on my PC I have managed to redraw a Lightning F1A 3-view into a P1.

P1-3view

As it has no spine and a low set cockpit much of the fuselage is a constant section. Hopefully only 3 or 4 formes will require their shape to be 'calculated'.

Its final size is not only set by the fan diameter but also to keep a low wing loading, hopefully about 10oz/sqft.