power system for Nigel Hawes Whizzza

Hi all,

my first post here though I hav ebeen lurking for a while. I am about to start my second kit build and will be building a Whizzza. I have ordered the wood kit from the modelflying shop and have a canopy on the way also. I was inspired by the recent threads on this, particularly this one :

**LINK**

This will be my second kit build, the first being a 'twomosa' :

**LINK**

I am fairly confident (optimistic?) about my chances of building it but would ideally like some assistance and validation on my motor choice. Having read the orignal article and some older threads I am pretty sure that a power system providing around 300 watts is suitable for me but am not too sure on the required dimensions of the motor (not having received the plan yet).

I think this combo would be fine with a 3s lipo:

**LINK**

and I can change the prop, as noted in the specs, to increase and decrease the available power. Provided that I install a firewall for rear-mounting this motor, is it a good choice?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Advert

That motor combo looks spot on Jack.

The only thing I don't like about it myself is the prop adapter being a collet on a shaft. I prefer the type that bolt on to the motor with 4 little cap screws. It's only a personal choice though, and I do use some like this one.

Just shout if you need any help, lots of helpful chaps here all the time.

Oh, Welcome to the forum too, sorry that should have come first

Your Motor choice looks good. Here is some information from my Whizzza Build

Spec's:

Motor: JP EnErg C35-14 1100kv 600watt

Prop Size Amps Thrust Power (W) RPM Volts
APC (11x5.5) 32.3 1290g 327 9200 11.1V My chosen set up.
APC (12x6) 38.6 1425g 386 8400 11.1V
APC (11x7) 36.0 1200g 343 8500 11.1V
APC (13x6.5) 44.7 1502g 427 7300 11.1V
APC (9x7.5) 42.5 1210g 544 11000 14.8V
APC (9x6) 35.1 1310g 468 12400 14.8V

ESC: JP EnErg PRO 50 SBEC ESC (50A) (2-6 CELLS)
Continuous - 50A (Maximum 10 seconds @ Burst - 70A)
Weight - 32g
Size - 23x52x7mm
Lipo Cells - 2-6 (NiMH Cells - 5-18)
BEC Output - 5.5V/4A
Programmable - Yes (Manually or by Program card not included)

Servos: 3 x Futaba 148S

1 x Aileron
1 x Rudder
1 x Elevator

Controls: Sullivan Snakes 5081

1 x Rudder
1 x Elevator

Controls: Metal control rod and carbon rods for Ailerons.

Lipos: 2 x Overlander 3s 2200 mah 1 x Turnigy 3s 2200 mah Flight time around 5 - 8 minutes depending on throttle use & weather conditions. A 3200 mah pack may help to reduce the added nose weight and increase the flight time.

Covering: Pro film White and Yellow, Solarfilm Red The original plan was white fuse , tail & rudder and yellow main wing. 1M yellow is not enough to cover the main wing so what ever colour you choose I would suggest the following size to cover like mine

1m of White for fuse/rudder/stabilizer/ailerons
1m of yellow fornose/main wing/ailerons
1m of red for fuse/main wing

If you wish to cover in separate colours then I would suggest using these sizes:

1M of chosen colour for fuse/rudder/stabilizer.
2m of chosen colour for main wings and ailerons.

Prop: APC 11 x 5.5 with a aluminum 2" spinner Landing gear: Carbon main gear and carbon tail skid from carbon copy. Rx: Spektrum AR7000. Due to problems in another model with another AR500 that led to a crash I am going to replace this and the other model with AR7000's

Wood: Balsa Sizes This a guide so check with the plan first

(5mm x 76 x 915mm) sheet soft to medium fuse sides/doubler's x 3
(5mm x 76 x 915mm) sheet medium for fin and rudder/tail wing x 1
4mm square dowel 100cm x1 for stabilizer/rudder Le x1

(6mm x 76 x 915mm) sheet medium fuse bottom x 1
(10mm x 76 x 915mm) sheet soft balsa fuse top x 1
Triangle 6mm x 6mm x 915mm

Wing
(12mm x 100 x 915mm) medium to soft 36" long x 2
(12mm x 100 x 915mm) medium to soft ailerons x 1 or use pre-cut aileron as I did
spruce bar 10mm x 3mm 100 cm x 1 (3.2mmx9.5mm)
4mm square dowel 100cm x 1

Many thanks for the replies guys, and the welcome. I am pleased to see I made a somewhat sensible choice of motor. Chris, is this the type of motor you are reffering to with a bolt on shaft?

**LINK**

Isnt this the one you used on your Whizzza? A bit more powerful than the one I selected but still viable right?

MikeS, thanks for the exhaustive detail, that gives me a lot to work with. With regards to the LiPo selection I have a couple of 2200 3s packs so will probably test fly with one of those but, all being well, want to try and remove as much dead weight as possible and replace it with either a larger single pack or multiple battery packs in parallel, as per a reccomendation from Mr. Hawes. Completely academic at this point of course, as I havent built it yet.

I am going to put together an electronics shopping list today or tomorrow and will post it here also. who knows, this might even turn into a build thread

Edited By Jack Banner on 12/06/2013 09:18:48

I'm pretty sure that is the motor Chris used. [I'm thinking about building one]

Personally I think the motor you linked to on the BRC site will fly the plane, but that you will find yourself wishing that you had gone a bit for a bit more power.

The motor you link to is only a 3535 1000Kv, whereas the one Chris used is a 3542 1250KV I've not built a whizza, but I do have a Tucano, and I would suggest that a bit more power = a bit more fun.

If you are planning to add undercarriage, the other issue to take into account is prop size. You may even want to go for a higher KV rating again in order to reduce the prop size slightly.

I'd probbably go for a slighly higher ESC too - go to 50A for the sake of a bit of headroom.

That's the motor I used yes Jack.

The photo there on GS reminded me that there is also a slight annoyance with that type of motor.
With the nice bolt on prop adapter stuck on one end, there is still a shaft sticking out of the other. So this needs either cutting off or boxing in, such that no internal parts can make contact with it.
Potentially this means the battery can't be pushed as far forward. Hey ho, it's all compromise.

You could go for the 1000kv version and get plenty of power still. The 1250 and a 9 x 6 (or 7.5) prop is pretty quick and power hungry. Having said that, it's nice to fly around on 1/3 throttle and have the punch when you fancy the big grin Just make sure there is good cooling with inlets and outlets.

Excellent, more to think about enlightened That is something I am enjoying in this hobby so far though, every answer raises new questions and it is a lot of compromise and adaptation around a few absolutes.

I value your advice guys. I may well go for a larger motor as it is nice to have the extra power on tap.

The plans just turned up as well so I can familiarise myself with those whilst waiting for the wood.