What Model??

Dear all,

I would appreciate your experiences and views on what aircraft to but as a 2nd model. My preferences are as follows:

Have an SC52, which I would like to fit. However, this must be mounted either vertically (the right way up) or side mounted. (I've had real problems with this inverted in a Seagul PT-19, and wish to avoid this set up again)

Preferably low or mid winger, but I am drawn to a few high wingers - the recently reviewed CMP cessna span can for example, I do like the idea of flaps for slower speed landings.

This will be my 2nd aircraft (ish) after a trainer, so nice stable wing, minimised tip stall and generally good flying characteristics would be greatly appreciated. I tend to disbeleive most of the manufacturers claims! 

A few I have looked at are:

Great Planes Super Sportster

Hanger 9 mustang PTS trainer

Hanger 9 Pulse XT 40

CMP Cessna 182 (as reviewed recently in RCM&E)

and of course a WOT 4, although I note the build quality and instructional problems noted on this forum.

I would also like to NOT pay the earth for a model, Any ideas???

Advert

Whilst not cheap, the Pulse XT 40 is a simply lovely......

WOT 4 - traditional kit, building ahoy!

CMP Cessna - not a good choice for a second model, despite the high wing it's not a trainer in any sense.  

If you're on a budget then for £80 you could try the Seagull PC-9 - see the review on this site here.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/10

I really do like the Pulse XT and the wing looks very stable and better still the engine is mounted the right way up. I can of course also use the flaperons, although I suspect they will not be needed.

I was tempted before Christmas to buy the EP mini pulse. Of course, I can always convert the Pulse XT 40 to EP, should I wish later on. (I learnt to fly on EP- a seagull Innovator)

What's your views on the Seagull Decathalon? (i've read the review, but of course need to put it into the context of my ability)

Engine now run and and signing sweetly on my home made test bed (made from an old IKEA pine cabinet that cost £10) - I now just need a model to fit .

Many thanks for the advice

Chris

David,

Many Thanks. I think the Pulse XT 40 would be a wise choice, and it looks very attractive and meets my 'requirements', although I might not fit those lovely spats right away.

Having just visted the hanger 9 website, the 40 size Piper Pawnee looks very nice, although like many Hanger 9 products I suspect I won't see it available over here for 6 months; they advertise far too early, particular since we seem to lag behind the US in getting them in the shops. What do you think, worth the wait instead of the Pulse XT??????

Regards

Chris

hello, try the vmar escape or extreme stick, both very cheap. the stick has spare servo mounts for flaps which almost stop the plane dead. both these planes have upright engine mounting.

the pc9 is also a very good flyer , just glides in on landing, plus scale looks.

i have owned all these planes and still fly the stick.

the escape was my 2nd model and it didnt take long before i was throwing it around the sky.

some vmar reviews are poor but ive not had any problems and for around £50-£60 good value.

Dear David/all

Thank you all for your advice and time. This forum really is excellent.

I have just purchased the Hanger 9 Pulse XT 40. I bought one off EBay for £66 second hand, which is brand new, still boxed, complete and not yet assembled, so really brand new. Not a bad find for 1/2 price.

Many Thanks

Chris