Does anyone know what this model hawk is?

dbflyer

Advert

Thats the fly-fly one for sure - I know 'cos I have had two ! 90mm fan such as the wemotech etc, needs around 4 - 5lbs of thrust for good performance, and the retract mount points are completely pants. Needs a fair bit of modding to be decent, but when done properly, she is a great looker and flier.

Check out the build thread and flying report on this here  forum - search box is your friend

Link

More

More....

Still got one, new, Jepe version, unstarted and boxed - anyone want it ??

Edited By Tim Mackey on 17/06/2013 17:54:59

Thanks Tim for identifying the model and for the links to all those write ups etc. From the articles it looks like it will need a bit of concentrated effort which I am quite happy to put in but I have another project that requires completion yet.

Lots of stuff to ponder, such as the tissue and Poly C for example. I like the sound of that because I hope to complete it in the black trainer colours in use by the RAF. I wonder if hand launching it would be out of the question? I have the Hobbyking Vampire but I have had so little luck with retracts on grass that all my current models are WWI fighters! The Hawk is such an attractive shape that I will come back to it. Thanks again

Retracts off grass are fine IF you use decent quality units, larger wheels, and beef up the hard points.

Our grass strip is normally OK, as long as its just after its been mowed, but at the moment its still recovering from a stampede of bullocks so no retract stuff for me right now sad

Hand launch. Hmm, the shape of the fuselage does not lend itself to hand launching as an EDF, and unless you have a very high thrust to weight ratio, I dont advise it - these things like to fly fast, and I suggest you would be hard pushed to achieve flying speed, and elevator authority from a hand launch. Ive seen the flyfly Sabre hand launched, but thats a much easier shape to get to grips with IYSWIM. There's always the bungee option ?

Olly - I think it would slope well, but being soft foam, it would not like the landings that we occasionally suffer - lightweight glassing would be strongly advised.