The engine just won't start,

RICHARD PATERSON

hi chaps,

just finished my first ever model, took ages but am very pleased with result.

have managed to find a local club which i am hoping to visit at the weekend only i would really like to give the engine a whirl,only can't gat the thin started for love nor money!!

its an sc 40, tried everything just won't go!

can anyone give me a foolproof guide, just to hear it running after all my blood, sweat and tears would be great.

thanks lads,  

Advert

Wotcha Richard

My head says, DON'T DO IT! Wait until you've had someone experienced to look over the plane in order to make sure that everything is OK, including engine installation, radio, hinges, airframe integrity, and ground equipment.

Why?

Well, you say this is your first model. This probably means that you haven't handled a running model engine before. A 40 is actually quite a sizeable engine, and is more than capable of lopping off your pinkies without stopping. If you don't use a secure tie-down for your plane, and manage to start the engine while kneeling on the ground in front of it, then you'll be faced with a rapidly advancing whirling brush cutter at groin level. If you have secured the plane, but the tailplane isn't glued on securely (and this may be more to do with the factory if it's an ARTF than your building skills), then you'll be in the same pickle when the tail is pulled off. If you do get the engine running, but break the airframe/cook the engine in the process (I'm guessing it's not run-in yet) then you will be reaching for your cheque book again before you've even committed aviation.

Get an old hand to give the plane the once over to make sure then engine is securely bolted on (and isn't going to rattle itself loose), the ariframe is OK (no warps, hinges secured etc), and to set you up with a buddy box so that your first flight is only a nerve wracking, knee trembling 10 minutes of abject terror and furious concentration followed by a textbook landing. As opposed to 2 seconds of surprise followed by a crunch and a long drive home with a bin bag full of bits.

My heart says

yeeeeeeeeeeeeah! Go for it. Fuel 'er up. Check the glow plug glows brightly. Wind the needle valve out 2 1/2 turns, apply the starter and brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm!

NB - My heart excludes all liability for damage to engine, plane, pinkies and good neighbourly relations arising from running an unsecured, unchecked glow engine at high rpms in an urban environment.....

AlistairT

Be patient - it'll be more than worth it when you can start your own engine safely, take off and fly with confidence, and land in one piece.

Stay with your sweat and tears Richard, double check all the points Alistair has suggested. this saves a little embarrasment at the field    and your pinkies!  I don't have all your worries as I now only fly easy-start-no cleanup electrics.  but the checks are still paramount.

• 2 weeks later...