My Favorite Gyro

This is one of my favorite small rc autogyro models. I don't have quick access to a large flying field and the field size in this video restrics one from flying a larger heavier RC Autogyro model, so most of my designs are designed according to the nearby flying environment.

The blades were done on a CNC machine to my own airfoil after testing several airfoils including the most popular ones used on probably a good percentage of model rc autogyros out there. The blades are thin and have sharp edges like on the MIA wood blades I use for my Fixed Pitch RC helicopters. The blades have no problems spinning up fast and smooth in 0 wind and maintaing momentum through all flight maneuvers. This model is very reactive but also if you let go of the controls it self-stabilizes and prevents me from getting in trouble if I loose orientation. Well actually orientation is not a problem with the industrial yellow color scheme which has been my prefered color for many years and probably because it is logically better to see up against a blue sky. The orange blades would have been white or yelow also but I had orange tape at the time. Yes, they are tape covered, after sealing the balsa-basswood blades with a sealer and a light coat of laquer. Mixed direct control no electronic stabilizing assisted gear. Model had a rudder but I lost it in a hard landing, was too lazy to re-install it, it has been flying without it just fine.

One of the cool phenomenon of this particular model is that the landings are spider like, they stick on impact, you can se it in a couple secions of this video where the model lands and sticks nice and tight, ROGs are also nice and tight, consistent and encouraging. 

I actually started designing this model with a frame having exact angles, in scale, as the real Magnis dual seaters but decided to experiment a bit and I pulled the mast back for a more agressive aesthetical look. Mast location is not that important as is the location of the rotor in reference to the CG, and the rotor can always be relocated back even with a mast that rakes forward or vice versa, so long as it obeys the typical CG-Thrust Line, Hang Angle guidelines, for stable flight.

Edited By Mario I. Arguello on 10/07/2013 06:44:50

Edited By Mario I. Arguello on 10/07/2013 06:52:13

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

• 5 months later...

More MPG (MIA Pusher Gyro) or MIA (Micro Pusher Gyro) Videos.

One of the nice features of all the MIA MPGs is that they are all square stick or square tube construction and very much in line with similar square tube construction of their real counterparts (Bensen, MAGNI 16) where I got my inspiration from. This approach and personal preference, makes the MIA MPG RC Autogyro designs extremlye easy for making component location/moment arm adjustments or repairs. It is also another reason I make all MIA Ultralight and Microlight models in similar way, only adjusting the model for the type of wing, "Fixed, Flex or Rotary". One can say these models are in scale detail with similar real aircract construction in similar way.

I actually started the old school way of building models using stick, balsa and covering them with tissue, silk, Monocote, etc., still do, ocasionally, and although I find this method great for scale models, it is very time consuming for a model that can be done equally well or better sometimes with faster and more modern building materials such as simple square sticks, Depron, plastic, G10, and Vac-Formed plastic parts.

When I am not doing real work I am either designing new stuff , flying for fun or spending time with family, covering a stick and balsa model is the last thing I want to do. It is easier for me do vac-forming since this is in line with my real work and to make one master fuselage or cabin plug where I can make multiples without sanding or putting a lot of elbow grease into a frame or fuselage that may break in the always unexpected but sure crash and I may have to start all over from scratch, works better with me.

This video may appear as a regression to the original MIA MPG 2 bladed design of a few years back but actually every new model constructed poses a new adventure and allows me to try things I did not try before. For example in this video, this MPG is using the same blades I used on the MIA Trainer Gyro, some may recall from several years ago, but I have modified the blades slightly (I was lazy and did not want to spend time on the CNC waiting for 3 new airfoils) I get creative when I get lazy and by using card-stock to make the original MIA 2002 Bumble Bee Sub-Micro Helicopter blades wider and allow me to bend the trailing edge simply at the field and adjust the rotor performance for various types of wind or no wind conditions, worked out extremely well. Some people find building and flying large full scale models rewarding, I love to experiment and try something that has not being tried before. There is an abundance of information that can be gathered by the pure act of experimentation and this to me is very addicting.

While doing this video, I wondered how many other people in the world really fly in the dark, not to mention RC autogyros, especially micro types are extremely finicky to adjust, in addition, flying in a cul-de-sac, poses some interesting challenges, but I have managed just fine with the MIA MPGs. I feel sometime I am the only person on this earth that can pull this off in almost complete darkness as I have never seen a similar video posted with a similar model, in a similar flying area, except those of my own.

In order not to make the video boring to those who cannot appreciate the skill required to design a pusher autogyro and fly in the dark, I have added day time flying so that everyone can see the model for what it is really worth. Pilot skill or easy to fly model, you be the judge.

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 16/01/2014 02:49:58

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 16/01/2014 02:52:11

Pushing the flight envelope at night

Well, since the weather has been great this time of the year, here in AZ, USA, I decided to fly the living daylights or better yet, nightlights, out of this model. Another night flight.

It is so enjoyable to have a properly designed and trimmed model that I can fly almost blindly at night. I am even doing figure 8's really easy and just having a blast.

This model proves to me that I don't need a large field and I can fly it any time indoors or outdoors provided the weather is calm.

Video was actually 10 minutes long on a single battery charge, but had to shorten it to show only the faster flight highlights.

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 16/01/2014 09:53:39

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 16/01/2014 09:58:11

• 2 weeks later...

Pete,

I appreciate you bringing this to my attention in a cordial and logical way.

I cannot change the way I make and show off my models or videos, but I will try to restrain myself from posting videos with my company name and do more DIY build threads, perhaps like the Durafly Auto G/G2 DIY blades.

Thank You,

Mario