Mufflers

For some time I was having trouble with an Evolution 46 which was playing me up.  I got plenty of dead-stick practice!  Horizon were very helpful on the phone but eventually, with the help of a more experienced flyer, we cracked it.

The engine would n't hold full throttle with the baffle plate in the muffler.  Un burnt fuel was clogging up the tank pressure pipe and, presumably, a vacuum was building in the tank.  Taking the plate out has given the engine a new lease of life.  Horizon say they have never had to do this.  Has anyone else any experience of anything similar?

Peter 

Advert

It's weird isn't it - that's what John at Horizon said and he obviously uses loads of them!  The difference was startling - and a great relief - I'd used nearly a gallon of fuel simply trying to sort it and it's supposed to be a beginners engine!!!

The strnage thing is, thinking back, the problem started with my first engine which Horizon replaced under warranty because i couldn't sort it and they couldn't find a problem.  The replacement was just the same - and it wasn't the installation because I crashed the first one and now have a replacement, different tank pipes etc.

I was an engineer, albeit electrical and it makes no sense - but it seems to work.  When the wind drops abit we'll know for sure!

Thanks for your interest.

Peter