Skystreak 32 beginner's build from plans

Hi all,

having proposed old control liners as R/C models, I was kindly sent a plan for the slightly enlarged version of the lovely old KK Skystreak 26 and had to start building.

I am a beginner to flying model aircraft, but an old hand at modelmaking, in fact I've earned my living at it for years, so I have a fair bit of good gear. The bandsaw and disc sander are, however, fairly recent additions, but my, how they speed things up.

The promised plans arrived today and after lunch I made a start, marking out the formers onto 1/8" ply by pricking through a photo-copy of that section of the plans. Because this is to be an electric model, I have redesigned the nose accordingly, bringing F2 forward to form a mounting surface for the little brushless motor's radial mount. The shape of F2 has been interpolated from the plan at that position and so may need some modification with a mini disc cutter once assembled.

Here they all are, marked out on a sheet of ply. Plans on top of my two ancient Super 60 fuselages that an old friend gave me to resurrect.

Here, being ripped out on the bandsaw. I bought this machine for £12 from the Sunday Market in Wisbech, always a great source of old tools.

Here the formers are all cut out and have been trued down to line on the disc sander, using the very inner part of the disc, which cuts much more finely and lightly than the vicious outer edge.

The wing ribs are also cut from photo-copy and about to be glued with spray tack onto the balsa sheet.

Holes for lightness and controls will be cut inside the formers, once I've worked out where everything goes.

Here's the 2 old Super 60s. The front one had broken in half so has been a job of scarphing the ply doublers and replacing scarphed in 1/4" square. The cabin framing is now being replaced in spruce. This will have an Enya 35 in it.

The one behind, being old but never finished is being mischievously modified into a low winger for training after the high winger has done its job.

Every glue joint in this one had to be replaced as the old stuff, whatever it was, was just crispy weak. Two by two up the fuselage from the tail, plus a thin ply gusset to each group of joints, it has now all been replaced, then the big cut out made and a new fuselage floor/wing plate made up.

However, we digress....

Looking at the R/C layout on the plans, it's clear that the aileron servo in the wing centre, whilst drawn as a tight fit, will not actually go between W1s. I was wondering therefore if 2 small 9Gm servos in the wings would be sufficient. There is space in the wing's thickness for one each side, eliminating the snakes shown on the plan. With a standard servo in the middle there wouldn't be much W1 left either side. Any views?

Cheers,

Martin

Advert

You don't hang about Martin !

9g's in each wing will work. The snake shown on the plan bends round at quite an acute angle from what I remember and am I correct in saying its a bowden cable ? - Not exactly ''slop free''

I have assembled my Radian plan and am in the process of enlarging it.

Good luck with the build. yes

Alan

Alan, I'm a bit of an animal once the muse is upon me! But that's just years of experience and a love of multi-tasking...you know that thing that women claim to do naturally but which they actually seem to struggle with?

This morning I did some photo-etch artwork for two model F1 slot car masters, instruction drawings for two model railway loco kits and then went over the big workshop to finish off the lathe parts for the F1 car wheel insert masters. Well, while I was over there I thought it would be rude not to do some Skystreaking. And I had to put the bandsaw outside to get to the lathe!

Now you can see why I regard model aircraft (and yachts) as my hobby away from the earners, which remain steadfastly model railways and slot cars.

If thisheat ever subsides this evening I shall be over there looking for a De Havilland nose pattern I carved ages ago as I'll be with my No 1 son next week who has a vac-former and can turn out any pretty shapes you like. Of course a Skystreak canopy comes to mind<G>....

Thanks for the info on the servos. I figured it would be a better way. I take it I need a Y cable of some sort to connect the two to a single Rx output?

Martin

Hi Foxfan. I recognise that bandsaw make. I inherited mine from my father. The only thing is the blades may be an odd size. However. Axminster Tools sell then ready made should you get stuck.

You're like me working in a mess, but I know where everything is - until the Boss decides to tidy up for me! Then it takes me a few days to find everything crying.

I'm watching this build with interest. Keep up the good work.

Ian

Hi Ian,

A mess, sir? I thought I'd tidied up a bit!

My dear bride has allowed me to turn our spare bedroom into a small workshop for the mainly small stuff I do for a living (she backs on to me and paints figures and interiors for the slot cars), so my old workshop caravan is now the place for machines and big stuff. Last week that bench was 6" high in all kinds of guff, but I had a big sort out and put the Super 60s on it. Now I'm off on this Skystreak tack!

I got some assorted blades off the 'net for £13 for 5 the bandsaw, but as yet have not had to change the original one. I've even cut sheet aluminium on that blade for my son's car door cards!

Nobody is allowed in that workshop, including the Mrs.

Wing ribs all cut out now and awaiting slotting for the spars.

This build will be in fits and starts, I'm afraid as I get busy with work. I'm also away next Wednesday for a week for a well earned break at the son's place. Grandchildren, sand castles and vac-forming. Last time I went up there he had me rebuilding his very large shed! This time I should get some leisure time! but i'm taking a pattern for the Skystreak canopy with me! He can form it while I wait.

Cheers,

Martin

Ribs all notched and formers also notched for strengthening stringers, instead of the engine bearers. All the formers also needed control holes and all, but 4, which seems to me should be as strong as possible, have extended holes for lightening.

Here we are so far.

Moved across to the small workshop as I needed the small vice and piercing saw. The holes in the frames are all started with a 1/16th drill in a pin chuck, then put in the vice and a piercing saw used to cut out the holes, radiussed corners to prevent cracks, all cleaned up with a round file. Trouble is, this bench shares with the slot car stuff, as witness the early stages of an Invicta master pattern, with brass wheel inserts for the F1 cars behind!

It's rare to make an object from plans and not find an anomaly and this one is no exception. F4 is about 1/8" too short. Touch the top of the canopy and you're dangling that much above the inner wing, so add at least 1/8", maybe 4mm, to the lower edge of F4 when you mark it out. The others are spot-on.

Martin

Alan,

I'm thinking to do it the same as my Uncle built my original when i was a kid, which was black and silver, but it wasn't very impressive! Nostalgia versus taste, eh? The original one was black fuz and silver wings. I was going to go for silver Solarfilm on the wings and black cellulose sprayed on the fuz. Yes, I still have cellulose paint tucked away! Sanding sealered balsa on the fuselage which is all balsa covered, then the cellulose.

The orientation thing suggests something quite contrasting underneath, or a pattern of some sort. I don't like sunburst. It looks like a Japanese flag to me, but I do like the "along the leading edge and back down by the wing tips" type of trim.

Would the mods. mind a pic or two of the "day job"?

Cheers,

Martin

This is the day job, just for Alan!

Patterns for a 1/48th scale Waco ZQC 6 Custom Cabin biplane. These will be vacuum formed by my son as a kit for a static model

These are patterns for a new 1/32nd scale Dragon Rapide kit to be done in resin, etc.

And the F1 cars

These are a Brabham BT19, BT24 and a Honda RA300 for which I made the patterns, cast in resin, then built up with hand made chassis, detailing parts, etc.

Sorry for the slight o.t. post!

Cheers,

Martin

I have been doing it for a while, Alan. More or less all my ife, more or less for a living from 2mm scale railway locos in brass to full sized show cars for the Germans. All models in their way. Also did 8 years as a technical illustrator. Both trades now computerise and me told I was too old to retrain.

Come the glorious powercut, brothers and sisters.........

Glad you like the patterns, Alan.

Cheers,

Martin

Just done these after an otherwise fragmented day.

The fin from 1/8th sheet (I think 3/32 too fragile)

And the pattern for the canopy, carved up frm a piece of Ureol modelling board, ready for my son to vac-form next week.

Cheers,

Martin

Oh dear!. Is this normal with plans, free or otherwise?

I went to glue the two fuselage sides together yesterday, having fixed the formers to the starb'd one and immediately it became clear that the two rear frames are way too narrow and just the wrong size all round. I will have to redraw them to actually fit and remake them. Also, there is very little location for fuse. side skinning around the front of the wing, so I will design something more positive there too. Obviously, I expect to make substantial changes to the nose area in converting to electric, but not the back end too.

So far, two plans (including the sheer fantasy nonsense that is the Hornet Moth), 2 dodgy bits of drawing.

But, I feel like a pioneer doing this, so all is well. I went into a "model" shop in Berwick-upon-Tweed today and when I asked for balsa wood he laughed and told me I was the 4th person to ask for it in 14 years!!

What is happening to this country!?

More when I return, including redrawn frames for anyone interested. Maybe 4 of you, in the next 14 years!

Cheers,

Martin