WOT 4 Xtreme

I thought I would do this thread for people to see what is involved in building the biggest version of this iconic model.

This is my first WOT 4 so its all new to me as well.

Ok to start with, WOW! the box is huge and heavier than I expected, on opening all of the parts appear intact and well package and it also looks very well finished in a nice colour scheme.

I went through all the parts and all appears well, with a huge collection of accessories in a separate box and they all seem of good quality.

After repacking it all back in the box I studied the instructions, which again is superb quality in full colour and is written in a very simple to understand step by step manner.

Right now the only thing to do is start building!

I have a CRRC 45cc petrol engine to use as a power plant from my ill stricken Turbulent, this is only being borrowed untill a new wing is built, so here we go then......

Advert

You'll have to bear with me a little on this one, what with moving house, trying to refurb the SPAD VII, re build a wing on the Turby, fix the Skyraider and having to go to work in between.

But I have managed to get servos into the wing thus far, no control rods yet though. Having read the instructions several times over now I have to say they are very good, but do omit some of the most basic info, which I wouldn't expect a novice to buy a plane like this, but there is no mention of fitting the wings to the plane itself at any point, it does just assume you you know that already, I serached hours for the rubber bands wink

Infact to be honest the instructions are so good in parts like the engine fitting I feel like I have done it already, even though all I have done is read about it, more to come soon.

• 1 month later...

Ok its been a while, what with shows, a house move and no internet for a while but the plane is now built, this is just a few words on observations on the kit for the time being, no pics yet as I still need to upload them (had internet for about half hour as we speak lol

Well as I said she is built, and not without its problems, not quite the straight forward build I was expecting.

Firstly, the covering, I have no idea what it is but shrinkable it ain't! It has wrinkled, ballooned and sagged evrywhere and no iron or gun on this planet is going to change that, very disappointing.

What appeared to be reasonable hardware turn out to be shocking, clevices where pins fell out, not enough backplates for control horns supplied, screws too short, threads on said screws not cut very well etc etc.

The holes on the tail end for the robart style hinges were drilled way too big for the hinges, since the they were supplied smaller for the tail than those in the flaps and ailerons, which is fair enough but the holes were drilled same size as the wings hinges.

The instructions fail to mention simple but fairly crucial info, such as how the wings attach, the fact one of the elevator servos has to be reversed, which can only be done with a servo reverser and not programming via the Tx, smal stuff I know, but if a newbie buys one of these how are they going to know?

The model is designed for rear mounted carb engines, not side mounted, guess which type I had? the reason it doesn't work well with one of these types is that the throttle control for mine, regardless of engine positiong had to run down the fuz, a steep angle downwards, out the side of the fuz and along before beding partly the way back in to meet the hown, which then orientated the pull movement the wrong way around for the carb, this wasn't a simple fiz and I'm still not satisfied with my solution od having the enginge mounted slightly off fully inverted with the pipe attached to the side of the model not underneath and using a snake with some very sharp bends in it, some more thinking on this one.

The actual build quality of the model itself is actually quite good, but for the cost, the Ripmax/Chris Foss names attached to it, not that impressed to be honest, bearing in mid this could quite easily be a £600 model by the time it in the air.

I'm sure I'll think of more things to add as time goes by, but she isn't getting maidened till I sort the throttle control out.

Winch, all of the problems I encountered were easily sorted and anyone with a little bit of building experience should be able to do the same, I just don't think it is quite up to scratch for a newbie build, theengine and throttle issues are down to my chosen power plant a CRRC 45cc, others I'm sure will just slip straight in easily.

Talking to David at the Nats there is a prope review coming up in next months mag and should be worth a read if you are interested in one, so hang in there and just see what problems he encountered, I know there were a couple of issues with the review model, but I believe he didn't have some of the problems I did.

One thing I forgot to mention was that with my chosen engine, I can't even think about using the cowl as there would be far too much cutting away to leave any strength in it to fit, so maybe if anyone does buy this model, don't partner it up with a CRRC 45, if I were chosing a motor again I would definately go for a rear mounted carb, although the CRRC runs really sweet, its not ideal for this model.

• 8 months later...

Well I have finally gone and done it, the Wotty flies laugh

I purchased a new engine a Redlion 58cc, installed it, but had to run the ignition cable through the fuz to get to the plug, no biggie really, just strengthened the hole where it goes through so vibration doesn't eat away at the balsa.

Took it down the field. Did all the usual pre flight checks, 2 or 3 times, sat back for a couple of hours building up courage, then thought stuff it lets go for it, engine wasn't too happy to start with, but that was down to me not charging batteries correctly (new batteries). Charged em up, and a couple of flicks and it roared into action, and with a really nice sound to add.

Taxied her out to the strip, and ground handling is perfect, more checks, then applied a bit of power, about a 1/3rd and she rolled away and was up withing about 4 meteres and flying, a couple of trim adjusts mainly elevator due to the extra weight of the oversized engine, but she eventually trimmed out and flew a straight as a die.

And I have to say she is one nice flyer, wether stugging about or opening the taps and doing some aeros, this is a keeper, landing was a bit quick due to no wind and not yet testing the flaps thats for next time (hopefully a full day on Monday).

If you have been umming and arring about one of these, get one, they are superb. Little niggles aside, just put some "proper" clevices in your basket at the same time and job done.

Foam wings are brilliant, they are quick, easy and very durable. The amount of times I've had to patch a tear in covering on a built up wing is ridiculous, and only one of my planes has a built up wing! A good way is to hot wire cut the wings out of foam and cover in brown paper, then they are extremely light. All the best aeroplanes I've ever flown have had foam wings.

For the Xtreme Wot, I don't think they should bother supplying hardware. It isn't a beginner's aeroplane, it is for experienced builders who will know what hardware they want anyway, so leave them to it and make the price a little cheaper. Covering should be better though, although our XL covering is sound so maybe you were unlucky, I haven't seen many reviews.

CS

Why hate them? Remember we don't build our planes to crash, and it is easy to hot wire cut a foam wing anyway. In terms of strength, it isn't any better I will agree but they are as good, but they are much more durable to hangar rash and knocks. They are also much quicker and easier to make (when from a kit). I like built up wings since they are satisfying to build, elegant and I like seeing the structure when the sunlight shines through (am I the only one?!), but foam wings are unbeatable for a quick build sports hack like a Wot 4, in my opinion. They are also superb in biplanes since the rigid structure of a biplane means they can be very light.

CS

No foam here, all built up wings, also she is tipping the scales at just over 6kgs and thats with a full fuel tank.

She actually flies more scale like than a normal Wotty, but you can throw her about a bit when you open the taps, she is a great introduction to large scale model flying.

Hopefully this Monday I can put her through some more tests and try out the flaps and find out where the stall is. We are also looking at rigging her up for glider tugging, that should be fun crook

A second outing showed up a few problems, she flew very well for 3 flights, but after the 3rd a servo had detached itself from the servo cover, this was epoxied on, and both flap servos had stripped gears, 352 Savox, brand new and after on 4 flights and only testting the flaps once. I can only put this all down to vibration, so some 252mg servos required me thinks, shame really was having such a good day, engine starts with just a couple of flicks and a prime, and it really is a cracking introduction for anyone looking into flying large models.

Sounds great, I'm new to petrol, but as I understand it you should always use metal geared servos. I have used ones from HK (very cheap) without issues so far in a couple of planes (I wouldn't put them in a plane i valued highly though!)

Rich

ps servos - http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2

Edited By Rich2 on 30/05/2014 07:35:52

Hi Dylan,

We've been playing around wth the tow release for the model recently that Ripmax sell. I bought one (as I'm doing nothing but fly gliders off a tow line at the moment) and gave it to Steve (who reviewed the model) and he reported that it dropped into place easily for which a servo recess was already there. His model uses a 50cc petrol and has plenty of power where my 3-4m span gliders are concerned. We're using an 80ft line although I'd suggest an even longer line, certainly nothing shorter.

It's fun though and nice to try something different.

aeotow1.jpgaerotow2.jpg

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 30/05/2014 08:52:21

• 3 months later...

Hi. Just completed my Wot Extreme had 5 very good flights it fly's super, trouble is on the sixth flight it lost its wing, the wing dowels are too short and squashed down allowing the wing to lift and rip off the back bolts' the wing floats nicely but the fuselage became a torpedo and totalled, engine 56DLA also damaged so is this a design fault on the strength of the wing and dowels has anyone else had the same issue, a short life for an intended glider tug