Motor twitching !

Geoff Bradley

Flying today and a sort of grinding was heard from the motor and then loss of power. All other controls were ok so dead stick landing was no problem.

On investigation the motor was twitching in both directions ...first thoughts were the ESC was faulty and it was a timing issue.

Back home I connected another motor to the system and it worked...so it must be the moto that was at fault.

Stripped the motor and no visual signs of anything unusual...then I noticed the cable heat shrink that was originally where the three wires enter the motor was in the middle of the cables. Knowing nothing about the workings of motors I wondered if a cable was shorting on perhaps the casing. So I replaced the heatshrink to its original position connected it up and everything worked well.

Have I sorted the problem or could I have a problem that could be intermittent.

Can anyone advise ?

Advert

Geoff

If the wire was touching the casing then by insulating it you have cured the problem but it is possible that the wire is actually damaged a bit further inside the motor and you have simply jiggled it a bit so it now makes proper contact. If this is so it certainly won't last!

Try wiggling the leadout wires gently with the motor running to see if the problem returns.

Certainly a twitching motor is usually indicative of a missing phase & cab usually be traced to a dodgy or broken connection somewhere......even a poor solder joint in the connectors can do it.....enamelled wire is hard to fully clean effectively & this can lead to a poor solder joint in one of the motor connectors. I even had one that came from the factory like that....dont know

• 3 months later...