KK ME109 Build

Mike Hardy

Advert

Hi Mike,

Looking at the plan this is correct as former 10 is in the cockpit area to provide support for the canopy and rear wing area and the rear top stringer finishes further back.

You should find that the opposite former half will meet it at the top and then both halves will be supported by the stringers and canopy so the fact that it is not attached to the top longeron will not be an issue.

I was just going to reply along the same lines as Colin, he beat me to it! Stretching out the plan I can see a note that the top stringer, under the cockpit, should be fitted first, this would support F10. The sloping former behind it will give support as well. I did build the KK 109 kit long ago, as well as others in the KK 'Flying Scale' series. Some flew well, some didn't which was down to me, aged about 10. I didn't know they were still available. Good luck with it.

Well my friends and I built a number of the KK kits when we were young in the 1950's. Other than the SE5 which flew well,I don't remember any of the others flying at all! However just thinking back we never made any adjustments to the C/G's and certainly did not trim or adjust the rudders or tail plane/elevators. It was good fun building the models though and rather than use Humbrol enamel we used colour dope to ensure most were too heavy to fly anyway, but what a lovely smell! I can remember the rubber breaking inside the fuselages which usually destroyed the tissue covering, and removing the broken rubber was like dealing with an angry snake! You could buy KK rubber lubricant but often we used caster oil bought from chemists shops.

I would certainly recommend the SE5 which I built again with success in the 1970's for my girlfriend's son.However she sat on it when it was parked on a sand dune in Southport! I also built a Humbrol Hornet at that time,another rubber powered plane that flew extremely well.

I do have a CO2 motor which might work in the SE5,anyone know?

Best of luck with the ME 109 Mike and hopefully you will prove all us Bodgers / doubting Thomas's from the 1950's wrong?

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/09/2013 14:06:51

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/09/2013 14:11:40

£11 !!! I can remember the KK Flying Scale kits being 4 shillings and tuppence! That's about 21p in todays money. I'm told they were originally 3s 6d (17p) although I don't quite remember back that far. As I said earlier I made a few of them with mixed success, actually I did better with the Jetex 50 ones, Hunter and Sabre. I was a bit older by then.

me 109 plan.jpg

Hi all, the plan shows the location for the 'peg' to locate the rubber motor but when the other end is fitted to the prop there is an 'interference' at former 9 lower edge!! This cannot be right!! how do I get around this? - move the peg location or cut a notch in former lower edge 9?

Mike.

Edited By Mike Hardy on 22/09/2013 00:13:44

Very nostalgic, this - I dimly remember building a KK 109 sometime around 1975 or 76, rock-hard wood and thousands of 1/16" square stringer slots. From (admittedly dim) memory, I think I had to remove the bottom of F9 to clear the rubber motor, and I seem to remember having to cut away some of the other former edges as well.

Mine came out at 2 ounces ready to fly, which was a bit too heavy. I seem to remember the Lysander, Auster Arrow and Piper Super Cruiser flew reasonably well, and the Hurricane flew OK as a result of a convenient set of accidental wing warps.

Posted by Mike Hardy on 14/09/2013 07:06:55:

Hi ascot, pocket money in the 50's - never went up with inflation (did we have inflation then?)

Mike.

2/6 !!! You were lucky. In my case it was a Saturday sixpence, which went up to one shilling (5p) in about 1960. Once a month I could buy an Airfix kit if I was careful. A Keilkraft kit would take a couple of months to save up for. I built a couple of Flying Scale Models, but they didn't fly very well and I got fed up with winding the rubber motors. I also then found out about diesel engines and was bought an M.E. Heron for either Xmas or my birthday, so that was the end of rubber power. Inflation really kicked in in the 1960s as by 1965 my pocket money had shot up to five shillings (25p).

kevinb The good old days (weren't).

That's all I got on a Saturday was sixpence as did my twin brother. I was a saver in those days and a frugal spender. I can remember saving up for a Hornby Doublo A4 SIlver King (£3-19-0) but eventually spent the money on aero modelling.

My friends bought Mills 0.75's in 1958 for about £3- 0-3 and I was fortunate that my older brother lent me the money to buy a diesel engine, but I had to settle for the cheaper Super Merlin that took an age to run-in. I re-paid my brother at sixpence a week which was essential as he was saving up to get married!

As Kevin suggests inflation must also have been responsible for my pocket money increasing up to 1963 before I did a Saturday job whilst in the Sixth form at school for a couple of years when my pocket money ceased altogether. During that time I built my junior 60 and a Peacemaker both powered by my ED Racer.

MJE