Suggestions Appreciated

Devcon1

Hi,

Any ideas/tips/suggestions gratefully received.

I need to clad some piano wire undercarriage legs on a Druine Turbulent to recreate the undercarriage as per photo via link below.

The legs are all pre bent so I can't slip anything over them, the best I can come up with is the produce some round rods from block balsa split them down middle scoop out a channel then glue them back together over the legs and then paint/cover in situ.

But I'm sure there could be a better way out there.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many Rhanks

John

Turbulent Picture

Advert

Hallo John, has your LMS got a rack of plastic sections,? Usually there's a range of rigid white plastic tubing, I'm sure that some of that would be useful. The tube is, I think, made from rigid polystyrene. Its easy to cut with a razor saw and it'll stick with Uhu Por. Wrap the tube in Solartrim to hide the joint.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian and Pete

Great ideas, I'd become fixated on the problems not the solutions.

I will combine the two using the balsa as the core (SLEC)and then sleeving it with my chosen OD plastic tube (Searching found Evergreen), this will give me a light but strong combo, easily painted and I can hide the join on the back of the leg.

Simples.

Many thanks for your replies.

Regards

John

Hi Percy and Kiwikanfli.

Thanks for the input I like the idea of combining a simple balsa fairing finished off with heatshrink as the cross section I need is a simple circle, you're right because mine will be a fairly small OD I still might need to sleeve them with plastic tube as they may be prone to splitting under any bending loads.

I found a supplier that covers a range of sizes so will order some to try.

Many Thanks

John

Heatshrink Tubing

I like the fairings Percy,