Anyone else not seeing videos on iPad?

Essjay

image.jpgIs anyone having the same problem that I've been having for a while now, where a video is posted by someone and all I see is a blank post? Sometimes I see the video, and sometimes I don't. I can only guess there must be more than one method of posting or linking to videos, and one method obviously doesn't work with the iPad.

Here's an example from today:

Advert

Me too essjay,

I think it happened around the time of the website overhaul and previously I never had an issue which (like graham) makes me sceptical it's a flash issue

I mentioned it to Dave (ashby) who knew of the issue and was going to report it the boffins behind the software.

Not sure what the outcome was though.

Craig

If this is indeed a problem with the latest forum software overhaul, then I would think as a lot of other magazines use the software for their forums, then they too must be having the same problem, and it's about time that MyTimeMedia Ltd employed some software engineers who actually know how to program!

OK Apple users... It seems you're stuffed by Apple deciding that they know best and that you can use what they tell you you can use. One reason why I wouldn't have any of their products, but that's another story.

So I guess the problem is that the "standard" way of embedding youtube videos on here specifies that the youtube "old embed code" should be used - and that uses Flash, which Mr Jobs decided he didn't like, so you can't use.

Now there is a "new embed code" option on youtube which appears to work when used to embed youtube videos on here - at least for me on a "normal" PC.

So - can any Apple user have a look at the videos below. The first one - which I guess Apple users won't be able to see - uses the old embed code, the second one uses the new code. Let me know what you see.

If it does work, then this poses the question (to the mods/technical team) "can we now use the (default) 'new embed code' for youtube videos?" Or are there reasons that it doesn't work for some people? (And if the reason is that it doesn't work on Netscape 4 or some other antique browser then I'd say that Apple iThing compatibility is probably more significant!)

Old embed

New embed

Edited By John Privett on 29/09/2013 11:02:44

That's a great question John. The results of which will inform our recommendations.

So, if anyone (apple or not) can't see the video above labelled "New Embed" - please let us know here.

IIRC, we had to stick to the old embed code because the new didn't work at all.
If the new now works, which it appears to, we should move to using that exclusively.

Essjay - thanks for confirming what I suspected!

Chris - I would guess that there are probably already quite a lot of youtube videos on this forum that have been posted using the "new embed" code - after all, people have proved over and over again that the instructions for posting links, pics, videos etc. often don't get followed!

So, if there are already videos using the new code, has anybody complained that they can't see those? It should be quite easy for somebody with access to the database behind the forum to identify postings containing youtube "new embed" code.

Exactly as predicted by John... Can't see the first, can see the second.... BUT....

This wasn't the case before the site overhaul....

Categorically not.

This is a new issue, and I never had problems watching embedded videos on the ipad before.... So there is a reason why I can now not see videos I used to be able to see...

So... It's inot just about flash, it's something To do with the site platform.  I've only seen the blank video space issue on this site... Not anywhere else on the net.

Edited By GrahamC on 29/09/2013 17:01:04

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 29/09/2013 11:18:43:

That's a great question John. The results of which will inform our recommendations.

So, if anyone (apple or not) can't see the video above labelled "New Embed" - please let us know here.

IIRC, we had to stick to the old embed code because the new didn't work at all.
If the new now works, which it appears to, we should move to using that exclusively.

So, two weeks on, was any conclusion reached about whether or not to use the 'new' embed code method?

Chris, there was a Spitfire video posted by Steve Hargreaves today that I cannot see using the iPad. I assumed from what had been discussed that we would be using the "new" embed from now on, but it would seem that's not the case. What's the latest position?

I guess it's down to the techies and/or mods to decide that the 'new' code is what we should be using. And then Chris would need to update the tutorial. After that people just need to use it!

Though it might be an opportunity for an improvement. The youtube link dialogue box really should only require the "identity code" of the video (eg. in this case it is ie3SrjLlcUY) and the forum software should then build the required code to display the video in the correct size. That would make posting of youtubes not prone to user (ie. us) errors and would ensure the max size was never exceeded - which as we know often causes problems with the forum layout. But then I'm only a software developer, so what the heck do I know...thinking