Any Middlesex flyers?

Robin Kearney

Hi all

bit of a long shot maybe, but are there any flyers on here from the Middlesex area? I had a discussion with a flyer today at the Northwick Park field, he mentioned flying happens at a park off Field End Road. I was wondering if anybody knows about this? I want to know if it's regulated, what the hours are the usual stuff.

I'll ring the council when I get a moment, but was just wondering if anybody who flies there reads this forum.

Advert

!/ I understand that If you fly in Northwick Park, in addition to your BMFA membership, you will have to buy an annual £25 licence. Don't know if this is enforced, but the area is multi use with football and rugby posts.

2/ The Field End Road site is used by some modellers, I have used it myself but have never tempted fate by contacting the council. Officialdom will tend to play safe and say no, although the field is little used by the public. The entrance is opposite the school. It is not a particularily good site, as it is on sloping ground, and is subject to rapid changes in wind direction and speed. There is an awkwardly placed spinney which presumably affects the winds.

3/ Why don't you contact the BMFA and find out about local clubs.

Hi Terry,

You are right about Northwick park, its £35 from this year. The occasional parkie asks for evidence, but beyond that there isn't much enforcement. There seem to be a growing number of complaints from the residents, some of the flyers are trying to form a club of sorts to help put our case across.

Thanks for the info about Field End Road, I'll pop over there next time I'm in Eastcote and have a look. Not sure I'd want to fly without checking with the council first, that possibly invalidates our BMFA insurance does it not?

Good point about the clubs, I should have said I'm on the waiting list for the only club I can get to in a sensible amount of time, hopefully I'll year that they have a space for me after their AGM in December.

r.

As i understand it, the BMFA insurance is valid if the site has been used before for flying model aircraft, without complaint. As ever, go to the source, rather than relying on hearsay. BMFA is online.

I was a member of the original Northwick Park club, but that was a long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Incase anybody finds this thread through a search engine, I thought I'd drop in a post with the official answer, received from Hillingdon council today.

Model flying of both Control line and Radio control powered aircraft is permitted at the Field End Road Recreational Ground on Saturdays between 9am and 1pm and on Sundays between 10am and 1pm.

No mention is made of unpowered aircraft or free flight.

I have a scan of the byelaw if anybody wants a read! Dated February 1982, scanned for me by a nice man in the council.

r.