Running simulator on apple osx

John Miller 4

Advert

Hi John, I own Aerofly the mac variant, it's ok but not a patch on Pheonix. How modern is your mac? My 2 year old iMac runs Pheonix just fine inside Windows 7 running in VMware, which is far less hassle than bootcamp which involves splitting your hard disk into to partitions and rebooting the mac every time you want to use it. I often leave VMware open all day as a window, flipping over to it when I fancy a fly

happy to provide more details if you need.

r.

Many thanks

I said I had been looking in the wrong place. In answer to your question Robin I have as yet not got an iMac, it is time my present confuser was replaced and the iMac is my prefered option for a number of reasons. If I need to lob out another £200 to £300 to obtain the various add ons it might be I will need to take another look. It pays to look at all the options before you purchase.

Virtual Box from Oracle is free and does the same thing as VMware. You would still need a copy of Windows to run inside the virtual machine though.
**Link**

I am also looking for a new PC and had looked at a Mac but I would end up re buying most of the software I currently own. I have decided on a Dell XPS 8700, it is a much higher spec and costs less than the iMac but not as nice to look at.

Buy the imac, you won't regret it, I switched to macs a few years back and would NEVER have a PC again. It's definitely a personal choice thing and I don't want to start any lengthy diatribes, there are enough of those on the various IT forums, but you will forget the price once you have it home.

By the way when you sort out the best simulator, post on here 'cos I need one!

To balance the equation: I had a Mac. Awful, awful, awful. So I sold it.

Then, last Christmas, I won an iPad in the Christmas raffle. I played with it for the start of Christmas. I was impressed by how much it takes over all your software, same as Macs, and never lets go, converting at will and not compatible with the TV or work computers.

Same as you Wilyuk, but in reversal, never again will any son of Apple cross my threshold. I hate Macs.

As you say it is a personal thing but my laptop can do everything a Mac can for half the price and with less restrictions.

Please let's not start a Mac V's Windows PC debate. Both operating systems have good points and bad points and Apple hardware is generally well engineered and certainly has the "wow" factor for looking good, but prices are kept high compard to other makes. You need to make your personal decision on what equipmemt you need.

IMHO, if you want to run the best RC flight simulators then stick with Microsoft Windows. Other software like CAD is the domain of Windows while creative media types doing graphic design/ publishing and video editing tend to use Mac.

And back to the subject of the OP....

John Miller - agreed about the extra expense of software, and as Wolston Flyer points out Vitual Box is a great free alternative to VMware (or Parallels). The one thing I'd mention is the VMWare has very good hardware 3D acceleration, which makes Phoenix a pleasure to use. Even full screen on a 27" iMac I have all the detail turned up. Virtual Box has experimental support for 3D acceleration which may or may not work/be very reliable.

If you want to know how Windows 7 + Phoenix run in Virtual Box then I'm happy to try them both in Virtual box and report back.

r.