External battery for camera

Hi there

I have just started to get interested in filming from my dji phantom and could do with some advice please.

I have tried several small cheap cameras with not much success (poor quality video ect) and have now got a vivitar dvr 785 hd mini camera, but the main problem that I am having is battery life, no more than 15 minute's in HD format.

As there seems to be no battery upgrade on the market I was wondering if I could use a mobile phone battery instead and if so how would I do this, or could I plug the camera into the balance plug on my flight li-po and take power from there.

I do not know what battery is in the camera apart from the fact it is a lithium one and is charged via a usb port on my computer, I am not looking for a massive battery life but about a hour would be good, I do not want to go to the extent of getting a go-pro or similar due to cost and I just want to dip my toe in to start with.

Thank you

Bill.

Advert

Hi

I cannot really help with your Vivitar 785 but.....

Have you seen the Mobius Actioncam, it is the next generation of the 808 Key-fob camera from China and gets very good reviews in RC forums. It has a user replaceable battery that does not requite soldering (look on eBay for the battery) and can also connect to an external battery / power supply via an optional cable.

The camera records in 1080p 30 frames per second and there is also an optional video out cable to connect to FPV if you ever decide to try it.

Here is a review, I hope this helps.

Mouse

something to look at. I have a usb battery pack that charges my iphone whilst I am out and about. If you look on Amazon for the New Trent usb battery you may find something suitable to power your camera. Providing of course that your camera will operate whilst connected to power. I got the 11000mah pack which would be too heavy put in a model but there are smaller ones.

Dean

Hi

Thank you for the reply's.

Today I had to return the camera because of a few faults so I am now looking for a new one.

I will start a new thread for some advice but the link that was posted by WolstonFlyer has me interested.

Bill.