Getting rid of the shine on h9 spit.

KingE

Does anybody know how to de shine a h9 spitfire without stripping of the original covering? Somebody told me that a covering of matt fuel profer would do the trick.But to be hounest ive heard a few horror stories about doing that and if the mix of the profer is wrong it wont go of and stay sticky and i dont want to risk doing that. Is there a way to maybe using very fine grain sand papper or something of that sort.

Any help with this would be apperciated

Cheers Ben.

Advert

A technique we used in the refinish trade to get a matt finish was to rub down with a polishing compound (Farecla G3 in our case), but not to polish it up. We would clean the compound off with a spirit wipe, which then wipes off. You could substitute soapy water for the spirit wipe. You would need to practice first as the effect is variable. Remember though, that a matt surface will mark a lot easier. A cutting compound, or coarse polish doesn't leave swirl marks as much as rubbing down paper, or scotchbrite.

Be careful though as a lot of these finishes are printed on and the ink is VERY thin. Find somewhere out of the way to practice on. You can get satin finish laquer aerosols from paint suppliers. The advantage is that it would be easier to clean afterwards. That would be my preferred option. Again test first.

kevinb.

Edited By kevin b on 09/11/2013 13:53:21

Edited By kevin b on 09/11/2013 13:57:23

I bought some ultra fine 0000 gauge wire wool to try and dull the shine on my Seagull Sea Fury. It is made to polish wood amongst other things, and I have read it should take the shine off without harsh scouring marks. I have not got round to trying it properly yet but gentle use in straight lines should work well.