Brian Taylor Plans

Hi guys.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy Brian Taylor plans in this country.(Tempest 5.)The only links that I can find are to Bob Holman in the USA.

It seems a bit odd to have to order a plan from the States, produced in GB, only to have it sent back to GB. By the time it gets here it will have done more miles than the original plane ever did!

I am going to build the Tempest in memory of my father, who used to build the Sabre engines for them. H24 configuration, all alloy block, sleeve valves, put together without any gaskets. Now that's an engine!

Pete

Advert

Hi Peter, it did seem a bit odd when I ordered the BT Hurricane a few weeks ago. If you order from the States you will stand a good chance of being hit by Customs, I will let you know how much I pay. I did notice Unitracts do sell BT plans and laser parts. It may be worth a look. I could not get an answer on their number so ordered from Bob Holman.
http://www.unitracts.co.uk/scale_plans.html

Peter,
Why not try Brian Taylor direct. I know his winding down now, but he will still sell what he has stock of. I enquired recently about the MK1 spitfire. He will tell you straight what he has and what acessories he still holds.

BRIAN TAYLOR Tel/Fax: +44(0) 1460 65694 - for plans, cowls, canopies, spinners etc.
HTH

Walts

Peter, just thought I would let you know that my plans and laser cut bits arrived from Bob Holman today. 19 days was the travel time from San Bernadino to Staffordshire. Fortunately Bob shipped by Parcel Farce and it didn't get snagged on Customs so no charge - Hooray!
Not as big a bundle of bits as I was expecting, but all the fiddly bits by the looks of it. The hard bit is to not get started! I have a couple of other plans to do first so that I am not rusty when I start Sidney Camms finest.... Let us know which plan you go for and where you get it from?

Thanks for the responses guys!

I will certainly try Brian Taylor direct. Thanks for the contact details Walts.

I'll post back here with the results.

Danny. I am pleased that all the bits arrived OK. Did you order the accessories from Bob Holman as well?

As to the building, you know you really want to start it now so why not give in?

Thanks again guys!

Peter you are so right!!! I have studied the drawing and it is full of information, cut throughs, little assembly drawings etc. The more you look the more there is. Well worth the money. Funnily enough the mouldings (Cowl, Spinner, Canopy) arrived this morning direct from Brian. I ordered through Bob Holman, he passes on the details to Brian who ships direct, saves postage.
I must practice restraint LOL

Hi guy's,
Danny, I don't know if you are a member on the RCMF forum, but there is a build of the BT Hurricane going on at the moment that might interest you. Heres a link

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,28913.0.html

Walts

Stop it Walts! I am trying to stay away from the build, I need to get back into scale building before I tackle the Hurricane LOL Just got some drawings of a Tipsy Trainer, was going to do that as a refresher, however the drawings are not very complete unfortunately and don't include ribs and tail sections. Instead of a refesher in scale building is more like a refresher in scratch building!
Yes I am on RCMF "Septic" I had a scan through that thread before ordering the drawings, glad you reminded me though haven't been on for a few weeks ought to catch up. Thx

Danny I'm just finishing up on the Warbirds replicas Hurricane, I thought it would be an easy quick build in between 'propper' builds but i might just as well gone straight in with a BT Hurri, I've changed so much on the WB's version it's taken an age to get right, well right'ish :)

Cheers Walts

Danny. You started me dribbling with your comment: 'I have studied the drawing and it is full of information, cut throughs, little assembly drawings etc.'

I have to confess to being one of those who just loves studying plans! (I really must get out more....) I can see an early phone call to BT coming on.......

Incidentally, wasn't 'Septic' a Hurricane pilot in one of those old scratchy black and white films? (Can't remember the title).

Walts. Are you going to post any photos of your efforts?

Excellent Peter you are spot on, Jack Hawkins starred as Group Captain "Tiger" Small PO "Septic" Baird was a Hurricane pilot in the film Angels 15. I cannot find any pics of his plane though, so will have to see If Amazon have a copy LOL.
I know what you mean about drawings and studying them LOL maybe we should both get out more!!
Walts I don't know the Warbirds version I would be interested in some pics of your build too.

That's the one! It was full of brave young WAAF's with trembling upper lips and dialogue such as 'Tally-Ho' and 'Watch the Hun in the Sun' all done in clipped rather upmarket accents.....

If I recall, Septic was a rather mournful young man given to long monologues in burning Hurricanes. I can picture the actor but I can't remember his name. Trevor something?

(Moderator, this thread is getting out of control. Perhaps you could start another Group, such as 'Anoraks Corner' or 'Plan Junkies' and put us in there). :-)

Guy's,
I have to confess to being a closet plans studying type as well, I've been studying the BT Mosquito & ME110 for 10years so far! must get around to building them some time:)
There is a few pic's of my Hurricane in the gallery on here. I've spent this afternoon trying to sort out the horrible gap between the wing and fairring to tidy it up a bit.

Walts

Just been nosing around the gallery that hurricane looks the business, you are nearly there! Is it a plan build, or kit? What markings is it going to wear? The Camel looks fab, and an interesting provost, not modelled often. The Lanc is awesome, I bet that has some presence in the air. Peter, you might be right maybe we should be carted off somewhere, but I guess there are only the three of us reading this anyway LOL and I am not sure I could be seen in an anorak......Irvine flying jacket perhaps?

Thanks Danny, I haven't given any thought to a scheme yet, just want to get the thing finished first. It was from a basic kit, veneered foam wings & deckings etc. that's why i thought it would have been a quick build, mind you even the basic parts wouldn't go together without extenssive re-cutting,and i got a bit carried away as usual with the detailling, but i got there in the end.
Anyway this thread was supposed to be about BT plans :) :) Pete Have you phoned Brian yet? If you were considering laser parts try Unitracts again, I spoke to them when i was considering the BT MK1 Spitfire and they said they normally carried a few stock kits for the popular stuff. Cost wise i doubt there is much in it after shipping and the possability of customs tax. But be warned, with laser cut parts for BT plans there is sometimes errors when the parts are compared to the plans. I found a build thread on the MK1 Spit and the guy had to scrap some of the parts and make his own, which kind of defeats the object a bit. On the other hand I've seen a build thread where laser parts were used to build the BT Hurricane and the amount of work saved far out weighed any minor errors, especially with those fus formers.

Walts

I don't mind at all. The thread is now on the 'hot threads' list so we are a star attraction! Fame at last!

I was a bit disturbed to read about problems with the laser cut parts. I think I'll just get the plan at the moment. In any case cutting out the formers will give me chance to try out my new electric fretsaw. All that fiddling with internal cuts will be character building.......

No such bad reports on the Hurri Peter, apparently the laser parts are all okay. and if you saw the fus formers with all those stringer notches that must be accurate as it shows on the surface, you would buy the laser parts LOL there are still plenty of bits to fret over (sorry for the pun)

That was the point i was making about the Hurri, if i was to build the BT version i would probably use the laser parts, there is as Danny says a hell of a lot of work done for you:)
I don't want to start scare mungering (sp) about laser parts many pepole have been very pleased with their accuracy. I read in another thread that Bob Holman was keen to know of any errors in his parts so he can amend them. There are a few reasons why parts can be out. The designer might be selling an updated plan to the one originally used for the parts. or the plan could have become distorted during printing like the new TN Lancaster.
I think these small problems don't get back to the laser cutter because we as modellers just put them right our selfs, like we used to with the early poor quality kits, so the cutters remain oblivious to any problems.
The MK1 Spitfire got put on the back burner for now, as i have just too many projects lined up. I really should stop looking at new models...............the trouble is my wish list seems to change almost daily :) :)

Cheers Walts