Crow Set Up

Morning all.

I have a Baudis Banana sloper

dscf3678.jpg

which I think still comes in on finals to fast even when on full crow.

I have set the flaps at 20mm ( approx 45 degrees) throw and the ailerons at 5 mm which still leaves plenty of aileron movement.

The (larger 2 metre plus models) which my mates fly carry very little speed on landing whilst mine is still carrying a bit of speed, even when flown on the same slope same day.

Do I need to add more travel on either or both flaps / ailerons or is this a characteristic of a smaller glider (57", or 1450mm in new money,span)

Thanks guys

Phil

Advert

It's all going to depend on the model and to a certain extent the slope you are flying off, but my Mini Blade (1.8m) can be slowed down quite well with the crow, I have the flaps going down 60 to 70 deg on max crow (on the throttle stick) with ailerons fully up. If you have the crow on a proportional control, i.e. the throttle stick then you can dial in more flap and test it.

Thanks guys.

So max flaps, but how much do you raise the ailerons?

I use a Hitech 7 Pro so I use the throttle progressively.

Bandit they are a good price and fly well, I  bought mine off a good mate for the extortionate price of 20 pounds and a bottle of red wink

Thanks
Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 17/12/2013 16:31:33

Phil

i don't think you will ever get great crow brakes for a few of reasons:

1 ) the flaps are top hinged, so they will probably only go down a certain amount. Although that will depend on how the control surface is cut. Bananas have no gap seals as you know (as I recall anyway), so this might be less of an issue.

2) he linkage is likely less optimal for large crow brake travels than you get with bottom hinged/top driven flaps. Because your linkage seems to be on the bottom of the wing, you will have to pull the linkage towards the servo head when you apply crow, which will tend to bind the linkage (horn) on the servo head), unless you have a really long servo arm, which is not ideal.

3) the flaps are physically quite small compared to the ailerons. If you look at model that is designed for landing (e.g f3j model) the flaps are often longer than the ailerons. As you know when you get a banana they only come with ailerons and you have to cut the aileron to get flaps (and cut holes for the servos).

T

Thanks for that Tom.
I've maxed out flap travel and because of the reasons you so rightly state, I am only able to get about 50 degrees travel.

I can't see the little extra making much if any difference so that's how it will stay.
It's still a cracking model.

Thanks guys.

Edited By Big Phil on 18/12/2013 12:01:10

Give the ailerons as much up as it can, but not more than when using the ailerons, the aileron going downwards shal go Down to almost newtral. (1 mm up)

In this way you still have plenty of aileron control.

If you feel you still have more than enough control, then give it a bit more up, and test again.

On my gliders I also mix the flaps as ailerons..

Good luck.

Soren