E-Glider new design called RedEagle

Ton van Munsteren

Advert

Posted by Jamie sawyer on 20/09/2014 17:20:01:

dscf1780[1].jpg

A high one Mike !! My poor legs are sore sad...

I'm not sure on the name of the hill. I would need to do a bit of research to try and find out its actual name.

I'm in the highlands Mike.

Jamie

Very nice and a choice of hills - very envious apart from the weather at times! ...lol

Posted by Ton van Munsteren on 20/09/2014 21:47:01:

Jamie,

Great pics thanks for posting, man am I jealous what a great location and the RedEagle is looks great in the air.

Do you mix rudder with aileron because it looks to me that you don't use any rudder because it looks neutral.

Ton

Hi Ton

Yes it is very easy to take your surroundings for granted. It is a very picturesque area I live in and very rural...Love it!

I haven't added the rudder mix in yet. I wanted to try it again for a good flight. I was finding yesterday in the strong wind....and it was a strong wind that when I turned the Ailerons were doing there job very well without rudder. Across wind and down wind legs were fine, into wind flying was fine, but I was finding that turning into the wind was lacking a bit and I was always needing the rudder for extra strength in the turn. (Not much but it was needing about 1/4 stick)

I'm not sure what happened in the first 15 min of flight but I nearly lost the glider. It very much felt like loss of signal as the glider turned gently into a down wind leg and I had no control at all for about 5 second. No elevator, rudder nothing and it was well down wind before I got it back into a turn. Thank god for the electric motor or I would have struggled to get it back into the lift. It was a good 100 meters back behind the ridge!!.

That didn't happen again but I am suspect that the wind was slightly to much for her and it wasn't signal loss but just to rough a day.....or it could be the case the ailerons were struggling...more testing required but as I say it was an hours flight with only one incident....early into the flight.....I'm blaming myself right now as pilot error lol...

As for the air breaks mod....put it like this.....when I came into land I landed in a high lift area on the ridge. I swung into a down wind leg. Took her 30 meters down wind and came in with air breaks deployed on the final turn. She takes a slightly nose up which you need to add some down elevator for penetration and the glider just sinks in ( In high lift area)...there absolutely fabulous ....really glad I fitted the flaps...If they weren't there I would simply over shoot and have to come round again....

Glad you like the pics Ton

Jamie

Posted by Mike Stevens on 21/09/2014 06:51:50:
Posted by Jamie sawyer on 20/09/2014 17:20:01:

dscf1780[1].jpg

A high one Mike !! My poor legs are sore sad...

I'm not sure on the name of the hill. I would need to do a bit of research to try and find out its actual name.

I'm in the highlands Mike.

Jamie

Very nice and a choice of hills - very envious apart from the weather at times! ...lol

Thanks Mike,

I am very lucky. Inverness is 45 miles from me, good hours drive. Thats the closesed city. Thanks

Jamie

Didn't want to be left out of the Slimming World weigh in on here, so I just weighed my Red Eagle ( pictures earlier on in this thread) .. The wings weigh 312 gms and the fuselage, with a 2200 3s lipo weigh 624gms, giving a ready to fly weight of 936 gms. Mine was built from one of RBS's short kits but i have made a couple of small 'mods' to the build; one is a removable ply hatch underneath the battery compartment to gain acsess to the ESC and the other is a small air scoop under the nose. Also, I didn't feel comfortable taking off all that nose area, it didn't seem to leave much material left to hold the motor in, so mine is quite a lot 'blockier' at the front end..

Not flown yet, been waiting to get my new 2.4 gear, spent most of yesterday afternoon installing and setting it up ready for today, woke up to 24kph winds with gusts to 32kph, not ideal for a maiden, so another day!!..

• 2 weeks later...

Right,........... Ages behind the the rest of the RED EAGLE brigade, but finally got mine maidened this morning!! The reason for the long delay was I was on the brink of changing over from 35Mhz to 2.4 Ghz radio, and didn't see much sense installing the old radio in a nice new plane, then changing it over when I got the new set!.. Anyway, took Red Eagle out to the patch this morning, wind sock hanging like it had been filled with lead and lovely clear blues skies.. All checks done and first launch revealed a bit of a problem with the prop, that fixed temporarily, the second launch saw her her climb steadily away. Rock solid and climbing at about 25 to 30 degrees on half power, into the circuit and around a few times at height, then trimming to do.. well actually NO trimming to do! Stooged her around at varying speeds between power off and about 60% throttle. Flies like she is on rails.. Decided to cut the flight fairly short after about 10 minutes due to the earlier prop problem ( it was slipping on the shaft if you increased the throttle sharply). Greased her in for a smooth landing. My check pilot congratulated me on the way she flew and other club members on how good she looked.. A major winner here Ton!!! dsc_0143 small.jpg Many thanks for this design.. Pics attached.. P.S.. It's late afternoon now and I'm still grinning like the proverbial Chesire Cat!

dsc_0146 small.jpg

dsc_0147 small.jpg

dsc_0144.jpg

Hi all

I am in the process of building the Red Eagle from the plan, about 3/4 the way through. Am considering adding a tow hook so that I can bungee launch although will still use it for motor launch. Has anyone tried this and if so what were the results?

Any comments would be welcome.

Andy,

Congrats with the maiden flight and thanks for posting the pics. The RedEagle is looking great in the air and looks like a great location which would give nice thermals for long flights. Do experiment a little with the CG because is safe forward as per plan. The CG can go about 10mm more backwards which makes is even more flying slower and relaxer. Thanks for building the RedEagle and enjoy the flying.

Ton

David,

Thanks for selecting the RedEagle and looking forward to pics of your build. Don't know of anyone who is building the RedEagle as an glider only, going for bungee launch without the E-motor. I had a visit of a modeller at our field who was thinking of going for a glider only, but have not spocken to him for some weeks. The RedEagle is not designed for bungee launch. But I do think the wing is strong enough to handle bungee launch my wing has not snaped yet, I only have bend the 4mm steel wire till now, with some wild aerobatics. So I think the RedEagle could work just fine with a bungee launch but do keep the weigth down and don't do to much force on the bungee.

Cheers

Ton

Last Saterday we had our 2e competition day, not many pilots only 4 from the 9 models flying at our club.

We had great fun and some good but relaxed thermals, the lowest time was 5 min the rest was 8-10 min and we had to spiral down to land in time.

Here some pics

This is a great club competition to do its relaxing and great fun.

Cheers

Ton

Ton

Thanks for your comments. I am sure the wing will be strong enough. As for the build, I did find it quite straight forward although the nose was quite difficult. I am really looking forward to its completion and its first flight, I will keep you posted on progress.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

eagle-m9w.jpgeagle-m9aw.jpgeagle-m8w.jpgHi everyone. Sorry I'm late to the Red Eagle party. I started building mine back in July, but with the great summer weather this year, flying existing models got priority over workshop sessions. Intermittent though the build has been, it was very enjoyable - thanks to Ton for a great design. Anyway, yesterday was the highly successful maiden flight so here are a few pix. Apologies for poor technical quality but I hope you can see how good she looks in her natural environment.

Cheers - Leseagle-m1w.jpg

The maiden flight was very impressive. She climbed swiftly to about 250 feet on full power then settled smoothly into a lovely flat glide while I trimmed her out - actually a couple of beeps of right rudder was all it took. Several more rapid climbs and long glides followed and I landed after about 20 minutes with 65% of the battery still available!

Flying mate and electric flight guru Chris Dickens then took over the tranny while I shot my snaps. He commented that the rudder needed a bit more authority and the elevator a bit less, so I have made those adjustments. I am particularly impressed with the way the Eagle makes a smooth transition from mid-power cruising to gliding and vice versa without any pitch variations. Very stable - and yet she does a nice full-power loop as well! I am delighted - so many thanks again to Ton.

Here are two more pix - one of her reclining naked on a rug, and the other fully clothed.

Cheers - Les

eagle-e1w.jpgeagle-f7w.jpg

Les,

Wooo thanks for the pics and thanks for building the RedEagle. The model looks great on the ground and even better in the air, like the colours. Good to know the maiden went so well and flights of 20min is only the start of many long flight of relax soaring. Iam happy you like it and which you many happy flights.

Ton

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alan - sorry for tardy reply but I didn't get any notification of your posting and have only just read it.

Glad you like my colour scheme. More of a Golden Eagle than a Red Eagle, but I'm pleased!

The covering was actually quite easy. I was using the cheapo stuff from Hobby King, which seems to work well with the same settings as I would normally use for ProFilm (aka Oracover) - that is,120C for tacking down, 150C for sticking properly and 175C for shrinking.

I covered the wings and tail completely in the transparent yellow first, and shrank it tight, The white was then added in strips on a "low" setting of the iron, trying to avoid bubbles. When it was all in place I increased the iron heat to 150 and went over it carefully. Such bubbles as there were, I pricked with a pin to let the air out and it all ended up pretty smooth.

Hope that helps - and good luck with yours.

Les

Hi Ton and all the other ''Red Eaglers'' on the forum.. I posted pics of mine here some while ago, but Saturday just gone was a totally beautiful day here, bright sun and very little wind, although it was a teeny bit cold! So ventured out with my Red Eagle for a little slope flying and attached my new Mobius HD video cam atop the wing.. Got some great ( well, I think it's great!) footage despite the low sun and long shadows.. Uploading it here so you can all enjoy it....nerd... **LINK**

Andy,

Had posted an reaction on youtube already , but forgot to ask why the motor is running all the time. Its a great video but would be even better when to motor is switched off fior a nice glide.

Alan,

Please do post some pics of the stage its in, always love to see the RedEagle in wood before covering.

Hope to see many more RedEagle's.  How great is it knowing that modellers in Toronto Canada are building RedEagle's.  Here is the link if you want to take a look at what they are doing temac

At this moment Iam having 7 RedEagle kits ready for delivery at the club in holland. Did a little demo with the MicroWarbird which they are now building as an winterproject. And also showed the RedEagle and went home with an order for 7 models. The club is 30min drive from my own club and who knows we can have some RedEagle comp between the clubs someday.

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 12/12/2014 22:48:29

Ton, thanks for the YouTube comments, as for the prop, I used an old speed controller for which I had no instructions and have yet to work out how to activate the brake, so it freewheels. Also, there was absolutely NO wind that day so I was using power for more time.

Hey Ton,

Ah great stuff, I'll stick up some photos of the build soon so! Great, you can add Ireland to the list of countries building your design! Could have a transatlantic competition soon, might be longer that 30 mins drive though!

That's brilliant, 7 more kits on the way, class. Can't wait to get it flying!