E-Glider new design called RedEagle

Ton van Munsteren

Sorry for the late reply was on holiday and my laptop crashed hate it when that happens.

Andy, Looking great and it would be nothing else than an RedEagle, its got the red wing and will fly like an Eagle when its finished wink

Mike, Looking good the RedEagle with the mods and like the fairing to make the wing go smooth into the fuse very nice and clean. The balsa inlayer is not really needed I only tighten the screws with my fingermail, so there is nog tension at all on that point and extra support is not needed, but also not a bad thing and good thinking.

Thanks for the pics and hoping to see many more.

Cheers

Ton

Coming along though got a bit fed up with it today but that is me at present - stressed at work.

Motor is a fiddle to mount and can I find a 36mm folding prop/spinner combination for a 4mm motor shaft, can I heck as like - have now but not exactly what I really wanted. Few more bits and bobs - servos in tomorrow HS55's and control surfaces on and check my set up. Is 20amp sufficient for this? Overlander 1100kw motor - I have a spare 40amp controller if needed but looks like overkill - 10x6 prop - guess I will put the watt meter on it and see what it draws.

One thing....I have not flown without ailerons before so how responsive is the rudder for turning - is the principal the same feed in rudder and up elevator and does it want to fight the dihedral?

Mike

Edited By Mike Stevens on 09/08/2014 20:27:14

Mike,

The RedEagle is looking great and I like the colors, will look great in the air.

Iam using an 30amp ESC, the motor is 1000KV with an 9x6 prop the amp's are about 16 amp max. But Iam not cooling the motor or controler which gets a little warm not hot when playing a lot with the motor.

For the controles the RedEagle is good responsive at the rudder and elevator , but no its not as responsive as ailerons its a lot slower, but than again the RedEagle can do an nice roll on its Rudder and Elevator.

Have you seen my vdo of the RedEagle it will give a good idea of how its responsive on rudder and elevator.

At the moment Iam having fun myself building an RedEagle for an mate.

Cheers

Ton

Mike, my advice is set up your TX how you feel most comfortable! Personally, I fly my 3 channel models with rudder on the left (throttle) stick . The only drawback I can see to this way is that being a somewhat clumsy clutz at times I can inadvertently apply a little throttle when in a gliding turn. No real problem for sports flying, but in a gliding comp that would be a problem. . You pays your money and takes your choice. .

Ok. So is it even really necissary. The reason is I am quite nervous about making a meal of it. I'm building the wings with a couple of modifications anyway. There is flaps and ailerons on my first set of wing. I'll post a couple of pics later. I will have the wing nearly ready for covering tonight hopefully. Then it will be onto the right wing.

Jamie

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 15/08/2014 08:03:52:

This is going to be my next, and first, "proper" build. Up until now I've only had facilities to assemble foamy models so I'm looking forward to it. This will be a lead up to building the Climaxx from Hollein, a 4 servo wing, 2.5m thermal glider ready for next springs thermal gliding season teeth 2

Steve

A470soaring.blogspot.co.uk

Hi Steve

I'm glad you've found the type of kit you've been looking for. I'll definitely be bookmarking the Hollein website. There appear to be 3 types of Climaxx, which one are you considering? They all look very nice. You could be looking for a sailplane rather than soarer by this Thursday!

Fairwinds

Mk

Mike,

To me it would be not an good idea to have the rudder on another channel, lets say the left stick when your used to fly the plane on Mode 2 single stick. Your flying reflex is based on flying single stick with the aileron on the right stick so with the rudder replacing the ailerons as stearing, you should set the rudder up on the right stick.

Jamie,

The purpose of the washout on the wing tips in the RedEagle is not to prevent tip stall which is usualy the done. For the RedEagle its done to help the rudder a little and make it more efficient. Iam looking forward to your wing modifications.

Steve,

Thanks for selecting the RedEagle enjoy building it and looking forward to your build pics.

Cheers

Ton

Posted by Mike Stevens on 16/08/2014 17:14:43:

Jaime

I am no expert but I would have thought that you would have to loose the dihedral if fitting ailerons - certainly that was the case with Middle Phase when built as either two or three channel.

Mike

Hi Mike,

there is lots of thermal sail planes out there with flaps and alerones on there wings with dihedral built in. I will be lessening the dihedral but not really for that reason. I'll keep note of what I do and post the info once its done. The main reason I am doing it is because I have a rudder elevator thermal already but couldn't resist building this one. It's got a lot of carisma about it for me. Very nice looking.

Ton,

I will let you know how it goes. I would have been further on but went out for 3 hours and my big fat black lab decided to help and un did 4 hours of work from this morning. I was very displeased with him ! angry

Jamie,

Yes I know the feeling have done 4 hours of work all for nothing, knowing that you could have done so much work on your model in that timecrying Great to read that you selected the RedEagle for its carisma.

Maybe here is something to cheer you up, this morning there was an maiden of another clubbuild RedEagle we now have 9 models flying at our club. Hoping to start very soon with some competition we already have a Trophy and some weeks a go we did a start with 5 models at once which was great fun.

Cheers

Ton

Ton,

It must be a fantastic feeling when the model you designed and built as a prototype multiplies so fast at your club and through the modeling community....

I take my hat off to you.

Nice Trophy to.....

I've ommitted from the washout on the wing tips now and just kept them flat and straight. I'll post some pictures later of the left wing providing my dog doesn't destroy any of it today blush. In the wings I'm fitting 4 tower pro MG90s on ailerons and flaps with 2 x 1meter extension leads on the ailerons.

Jamie

Edited By Jamie sawyer on 17/08/2014 09:48:52