Supra Fly 45

• 1 year later...

Having been asked about the conversion to electric on another forum, I thought I'd add it here.

The top front deck is cut from foam and skinned with 1/16th balsa as per normal practice. Although the canopy end of the deck is hidden ( virtually blocked out canopy) I still cut it at 30 degrees anyway for appearances sake. At the end of the battery hatch, the deck is cut in half at just a 10 degree angle to facilitate it's removal.

As the removable part has a 2mm lite ply base, this thickness has to be removed from the bottom of the deck. The easiest way to do this is to use a 4" wide piece of balsa, vertically against a band saw fence and slice of the 2mm from the bottom of the deck. When the lite ply base is added, the two halves will now be at the same height again. 2mm LP facings are added to both ends of the removable part and the front end of the fixed to prevent damage during removal. The cockpit end is faced with balsa.

3mm carbon tube is used for location both at the front and at the rear near the magnets for locating purposes. 2 pairs of 10 mm magnets fix the hatch in place. The two lugs at the rear of the hatch to help removal, is a cut down lolly stick, running across the hatch internally, Simple and effective.

The motor mount is one that I produce from a combination of lite and birch ply, cnc cut. This allows the firewall to remain in it's original position and enables different makes of motor (of the same size) to be fitted. One end is fixed and the other (a 'tight' sliding fit) can be moved to accommodate different motor lengths. Once decided, the inner square tube is cut off.

The pictures should answer any other questions. Enjoy, Steve

dsc00110.jpg

dsc00111.jpg

dsc00112.jpg

dsc00113.jpg

dsc00114.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just heard from Stephen Lindley yesterday, what he wrote made me proud.

'Test flown today and its brilliant, don't like to say it as everyone uses the phrase but flies like its on rails, no trim adjustment needed. Need to try a few different props as could just to with a little more grunt not short but sometimes need it all and I like to have a little in reserve, motor and ESC are working no where near there capabilities.
Ether Hanno knew how to design a model or you know how to build one, but to be honest I think I will take the credit for putting it together. Seriously it brilliant you have done a great job, thanks again, and looks like I now know where to go to get models built.'
dsc_0802.jpg
dsc_0805.jpg
dsc_0822.jpg

• 8 months later...

dscn2111.jpgThought I'd show you my latest addition for the 2017 season of UKCAA events

One of Steve Dunning's Supra fly 45s

Fuz covered in film, wing covered in brown paper and sprayed with car aerosol.

Powerplant is Turnigy G46 with plush 60 ESC.

Prop is APCE 13x6.5

Battery is 5s 4700

Weight is 6lb3oz

With this battery the balance point worked out bang on!

Flies absolutely superb with no vices and endless verticals.

I love it and am looking forward to using it at this year's events.

Hope you like it and that Steve approves lol.

See you soon hopefully.

Minty.

Looks very nice.

A question if I may (probably covered somewhere else but...)

"wing covered in brown paper and sprayed with car aerosol."

What's your basic technique for brown paper?

How does it compare weight wise / ease of use / cost, to either dope and tissue/silk, or to film.

Hi Nigel. Technique is to get the surface preped in the usual way then coat with thinned down pva, lay the paper then wet it through with the pva, remove as many wrinkles as possible and let it dry. Hopefully all the wrinkles have disappeared and it's stuck.

Now prime and spray.

I don't know compared to tissue and dope because it's so long since I did any but compared to film it's :-

More fiddly

Takes longer

Probably more expensive in the long run.

Heavier.

So why did I do it? Just fancied doing something different.

Would I do it again? Probably not.

Minty

Brown Paper Eh.....

That brings back memories, but I would say its actually easier to do than tissue / dope.

Technique i was taught was to soak the brown paper through, either with thin PVA or wallpaper paste and let it go soggy - like you would if hanging wall paper, then lay it onto the wing and smooth out, again as if wall papering.

Tricky bit is you need to do both surfaces at once and hang it up to dry, otherwise it is very likely to warp.

Finished result I think is tougher than tissue, but does not add much strength - don't try it over an open structure....

Steve - is that Suprafly available as a kit? I used to have one from the kit, bought S/hand with a piped Rossi 60, 5 port and mechanical retracts, and I remember it as the nicest pattern plane i ever had.

Could fancy another.....

Tim