Towing , help needed!

I have a ripmax nebula .Whilst happy with the flying characteristics , I have always been dissapointed with the climbing ability of the model.As I have limited funds , I have not followed the route of brushless motors/Li po , deciding instead to try a bit of towing .so I have stripped out the power train and rebalanced the model and fitted a nose mounted release hook.

Fortunately I also have a Precedent T240 , fitted with a 25cc Supre Tigre glow motor. The model chugs around beautifully on about 1/3 throttle and would seem to be the perfect towing craft for the Nebula.(comments welcome!)

The problem that I have is that I don't know where to put the tow hook on the plane.I would assume it would be around the centre of gravity , but my concern is of the tow line snagging on either the fin/rudder or the tail wheel.We do have a couple of guys at the club that already tow , but I have not been to the feild for a while and would like to get the models prepared now that the clocks have gone forward!

Any help would be really appreciated , from your own experience  , or from any sites that you may know of that may contain relevant info.   

Advert

As Eric says, just behind the back of the wing is ideal and also some wire, or similar, from the top of the fin down to each end of the tailplane will prevent the tow line snagging in the elevator or rudder.

Martin...you said "towhook" but I hope you meant a "tow release" so that you can release the towline in flight when you need to!

Providing your runway is long enough, use a longer towline (I use 40 mtrs) rather than a short one because the long line will give a smoother tow. 

Thank you guys.Its nice to see a common result.

Richard , yes I was aware that the hook needs to be releasable , just didn't word very well , sorry.

I have since found a good site for info - scalesoaring.co.uk - this has some good ideas and designs for a tug release , so I shall hit the workshop this week , probably machine up a little aluminium jobbie!

Also thanks for the advice on the line length , we do have a large patch , so I'll go with as long as poss!

How do you feel about the tug/engine combination for this size of glider?

• 2 years later...
Martin,

I tow off the beach with a Multiplex Mentor. Tow release is mounted behind the wing as shown and it works fine.

Simple post of flat carbon with actuator on the end of a flexible inner control cable with plastic outer. Small servo mounted where you can. Total weight cannot be more than 20g.

Don't forget some safety at the rear - 1mm carbon - to prevent the tow line getting tangled in the elevator/rudder.

Happy towing

Peter