Advert

Just finished mine....

Right then...( good site that Andy ) here's mine. General construction, templates for root and tip chord cut from litho-plate, ( could use ply ) and first quickie test results. I used an aluminium square section "U" tube for the main brace....feeding one of my battery connections along it and down to the wire end. Accurate slop free bearings /pivots at one end are needed, to ensure a rigid slop free structure.

I used hardwood strip to form the vertical arms....anyway you get the gist of it I am sure from the photos .

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/hotwire_cutter.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/root-templates.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/foam2.jpg

Theres lots of info on that site, and others ,about how to make /use.They range from very very simple to very overcomplicated . I think mine falls somewhere between the 2.

I powered it from an old converted UPSU, but latterly I just use a 12V leisure /car battery. Important things...

1) Use a tensioner like the spring idea - the wire DOES stretch as it heats up

2) Some folks say dont use nichrome wire - I did and its fine....not broke one yet !

3) The guide templates ( and a competent partner ) are the key to a successful cut - Practice first !

Make a template for root and tip chord shapes, and mark on them "timing numbers" equally spaced across the face of the template to ensure that you both travel at the same speed and distance as it were over the whole cut. Dont go too fast or it will drag and be rough, - too slow and it will melt grooves.

VITAL!! - make absolutely certain that there is not even the slightest hint of roughness on the template edges, as this will cause the wire to catch /stick as it passes over them, this will result in an uneven burn, deeper grooves and poor results, apart from increased risk of wire breakage.

4) Ensure your PSU can deliver the required current - hot is good, but too hot is bad. Experiment.

5) Unhook the tensioning spring when finished to remove all tension on the wire for storage.

For small non fussy jobs, it can be used single handed, but for a wing panel or similar, 2 peeps are needed.

Just to add to Timbos excellent introduction, don't be tempted to use metal templates (Litho is probably ok) it will suck the heat from the wire and could make the wire too cold locally.

Paxolin / formica are excellent, fiberglass sheet and ply are also very good.

If you finally give up (it can take a while to get the knack) just send Barry your requirements and have him make them.

Andy

PS - just found these

http://www.compufoil.com/fc_tutorial.html

http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/ConstGuide/FoamWing.html

Hi all

back in the 80's I made a cutter bow using 1" by 1/2" timber from a diy store using two pieces for the cross member and one piece each end. with the end sandwiched between the two center cross pieces it made a very strong bow. Tension with nylon washing line. I also used MIG welding wire for the hot wire and a car battery charger for the power with a domestic light dimmer switch to control the heat.

cheap as chips and it worked very well must have cut over thirty wings with no sign of it wearing out (there is nothing to wear out except the wire) but you must use good tight fitting bolts at the joints

I have not got it now as i gave it away when we moved house. when I need another one I will knock another one up.

there is a knack to cutting foam accurately but keep at it and you will get there. use ply well sanded and keep the wire on the move so you do not burn the template.

have fun and be creative 

regards  to all

I did know a couple of guys way back who had actually practiced together so much that they could actually cut some quite severely tapered chord wings. They had it off to a fine art, with numbers marked on each template -  one called out the numbers at precise intervals as he progressed across the chord, and the other was able to match the transition speed at 'tother end perfectly !