New Wot Trainer

Bill Brownlie

Has anyone completed the new Wot Trainer ARTF.

I've just finished mine and have had to stick in about 200gm of lead to the tail to get the 89mm balance point as per the instructions. I have two questions.

Is this typical of the model, I've got an OS46 up front and the battery hard against the bulkhead so not much option there.

How secure are these stick on weight. I've used the self adhesive weights around the tail end of the fuselage stuck onto the covering. Not sure how stable the model would be if they fall off and are they likely to do any structural damage as the balsa underneath the covering is soft sheet and could come away.

Advert

Thanks guys.

Think I'll give her a go as is witht he weights and see how she flys. Once I've got an idea of how well I'll make a more permanent job of the weight on the back end.

I don't think the falling off and injuring anyone will be a problem as we have strick rules at our club about overflying(We don't).

I bought my self a wot trainer. I got my father to put it togher for me , (he modiling  lot long then me )

c.g was i problem . but he had loads of other problems , the center bar in the wings was to long , had to cut the ply in the fuzz so the push rods in the wings would fit when putting wings on . the pushrods for the rudder and front wheel was not in line .

But  it fly a dream cant fault it  . I have 45 up front i would got a way with a 40 if any think of get 1 .

• 4 months later...

Hi I bought a wot trainer and the model was nose heavy. I did move the battery further back and the model was still nose heavy. The engine I used was a spare ys 63 so I couldn't move it back as far as I would have liked along the engine mount due to the throttle setup.

I tested the balance again  and found I required 20 gramms of weight on the tail for perfect balance.

I had 2x 10 gramm weights and rather than sticking  them on I drilled a hole in each weight and  I used the exisiting bolts for the vertical stabilsier to hold each weight in place by adding a washer and a nut.

I flew the model and was surpised how well it  flew, silky smooth, landings just seemed to go on forever as there was no wind.

I was getting some flutter from the tail when pulling out of loops. Put it down to soft balsa in the tail which was very flexible. I sheeted the tail with a single ply sheet on the bottom. THis added enough weight to allow me to take the lead off the tail and it balanced nicely. Have now flown it for some time and its great fun. As you say it floats on for every. I had a dead stick with it last night and it glided ages right back to the field with no problems.

Really pleased with it now after fixing all the problems. Other guys in my club have sent theirs back as they were unhappy with the quality and strength of the wood.