Mud Flaps for Servo's

Paul Adams

Last weekend after flying I realised that the Servo's were covered in mud and water - Not a good idea. So this weekend I thought what can I do to prevent this. The mud / water comes from the wheels picking up the mud / water which it throws up onto the underside of the wing, and due to the design of the model it throws it on the servo. So Sunday morning as I was getting ready to go flying I wondered what I could do quickly to stop this from happening. I tried to find wheel cowls, but this was going to take to long, so the next idea was to use duct tape as below:-

img_0306[1].jpg

img_0305[1].jpg

As you can see from the mud it works well. The mud flaps are made my folding back about 50 mm of duct tape back onto itself (prevents the tape sticking to the servo arm) and then cutting off an additional 20 mm which is used to stick the mud flap to the wing in front of the servo. Took two minutes to make and my servo's were dry and mud free. I did not notice any effect on the flying performance, so may do it to more of my models, perhaps using 50mm wide clear tape, so that its not so obvious.

Advert

Looking at the photo I am reminded of something I read earlier in the week. The book was 'Sigh for a Merlin' by Alex Henshaw, and is about his time test flying Spitfires and other aircraft in WW2.

He was flying a Spit and had noticed that the Camera Hatch was not properly secured. He had intended to get someone to tape it up, but forgot.

Returning to base in it he had an engine failure and had to land it dead-stick. There was nowhere good - the best he could find was a row of back gardens between two rows of houses. All was well until the camera hatch opened and one wing stalled.

Make sure that your mud flaps are the same each side.

Plummet