Modifying the DX7 - combined

Tim Mackey

The original post on this topic was unwieldy, and I have deleted it.

As a replacement, and update, I will summarise all of the modifications I have done and the benefits. If people require the construction detail then please PM me, I have all the info logged and photographed.

NB: These mods if carried out, are entirely at your own risk, and will definately void your warranty.

1) Original batery replaced with LiPo - greater run time and always ready.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/battery--fitted.jpg

2) "On" indicator lamp added to front case - assists in not forgetting to switch it off

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/case.jpg

Here it is "ON"

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/13-on.jpg

3) Original linear voltage regulator replaced with switching reg - Further very large increase in run time

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/Regulator.jpg

4) Battery level warning alarm fitted - Very loud alarm as LiPo approaches low level - see sounders on case top in picture above.

5) Secure the aerial exit points ( and the satellite connection plugs ) with a dab of semi-rigid glue. There have been instances of these delicate wires breaking at the point of exit

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/glue.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

Hi Mike, yes it was the DESW033 that I used.

Current consumption is now 136 m/a ( but remember I have fitted a LED "ON" warning beacon also, so this accounts for some of that ) - before the mod it was 288 m/a.

Previous average continual run time with the old linear regulator and an 1800 mahr NiMh was around 2.5 Hours, and now it is over 7 hours with new reg and a 2500 LiPo.

Here is the old and the new....very simple swop out to do the job, no heatsink is necessary as the current is so low.

Assuming you are good at soldering / de-soldering, then you should have the job done in around 20 minutes!

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/old_regulator.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/Regulator.jpg

Thanks for the update, I saw this mod on the 6 channel system and thought the DSM2 system did not need the stepping reulator, however if you are getting 7 hrs from this mod, its got to be worthwhile.

Can you give us some more detail of the on light and sounders, they also look a worthwhile mod.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Timbo

Sorry for not comming back sooner, but I lost the thread in my favorites for some reason.

Thank you for the information very good detail and will do the mod asap.

What is needed from someone hint hint, is a plug in board of some kind to allow this to be done on say a Futaba FF9 with a LiPo battery, perhaps just a board with a sounder whith plugs either end one for the battery the other for the Tx connection.

Mike

DESW033

Current consumption is now 136 m/a ( but remember I have fitted a LED "ON" warning beacon also, so this accounts for some of that ) - before the mod it was 288 m/a.

Previous average continual run time with  the old linear regulator and an 1800 mahr NiMh was around 2.5 Hours, and now it is over 7 hours with new reg and a 2500 LiPo.

I think I got my reg from Farnell online - but cant honestly remember,  its a good bet thopugh, cos I get pretty well all my stuff from them these days !

If your stuck, I think I have a spare. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
As an update to this mod ( fitting a lipo ) I think I would like to suggest that anyone doing it should really consider changing the regulator - there have been one or two ( unconfirmed ) rumours of the LiPo pack causing an overheat of the standard cheap linear regulator - which is quite possible. besides, as stated at the start, any such mods will void your warraty, and also, quite possible cause a problem if you were unfortunate enough to have an incident requiring Insurance claims. Just so you know the risk

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Timbo,thanks for these mods,I like the idea of the light,being an old fart I tend to leave mine switched on quite a bit,specially if a club mate starts chatting or while I'm changing batteries.
however,they've all got a good point to them,so if you wouldn't mind sending me the details I'd be grateful.there is just one point I'd like cleared up,I take it you remove the lipo for charging?

vic driver

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks, Timbo - appreciate you not wanting to get into a blow by blow description when you don't know skill levels but I don't mind extensive soldering and desoldering and extending / replacing of wires if I  rewire the pots and trim switches. Other than that hassle, can I take it that component values are the same on both sides and the hardware is swapable.  

• 1 year later...