Black Horse Stuka

MikeS

Got myself a new project for this year which I picked this up on Thursday for little money.. I plan to put my ASP 1.20 in and will need to order some new servos.

I count nine servos for it so need to plan the power system as my normal route would be a RCE-B6X using Lipo. My Piper Pawnee runs on seven servos which is fine however for m current setups.

Well here are so photos:

BH Stuka

Cowl

Advert

Hi Mike - I think I know where you got it! I bought the new DX9, new servos and the new OS120 FS that were for it all for 'not much money' too. I would have had the aeroplane too but that's a bit more difficult to get to France when it's already built up! I shall watch with interest.

(The Grob is still progressing, if a little slowly. Got so many models on the go I' spinning a bit!)

Hope the Stuka flies well when you've got it sorted!

Terry

Today I had few hours spare so had a look at fitting the servos in the port wing. First question is what type of servos, I have an abundance of FP 148 servos. These are around 3.0kg pull at 6v. Now these are fine in my Piper Pawnee but will they be ok in the Stuka. With a target weight of 12-13 pounds and a ASP 1.20 up front along with the traditional "Stuka Dive" I found myself wondering..

Mike

I have one of these. 3kg pull will be fine for the flaps. You will need a bit more for the main control surfaces.

I think the manual recommends a higher kg pull for the elevator and aerlerons. It is online if you google it.

If I get time, I will check for you tomorrow.

Cheers Mark

Edited By Mark Reynolds on 17/02/2014 00:24:54

I have a Hitec 635 servo that came with the Stuka, this has been deployed in to use as a the elevator servo with 6kg of torgue I think it is more than adequate. So I need to order some 485 servo's for the ailerons and a decided on a metal gear servo for the rudder/tail wheel control.

On removing the cowl I noticed a refuelling point fitted and also something else which I think is a glow plug point. Never having used one I am not sure. here are a couple of photos of the outside and inside.

Outside,

dsc_0727.jpg

Inside,

dsc_0729.jpg

I'm still none the wiser to the above so may have to remove it and have a look. Fitted the elevator servo and found a little servo Buzzing going on so need find where its binding.

One thing, I did not find no reference point in the manual to the aileron central position in relation to the wing. I suppose its guess work to what looks right.

I set the dual flaps to 5s drop time which might be about right.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, thanks for the advice and agree with the flap speed.

Well today swapped out the aileron 148 servo's for some 485's. That will give me 6kg of torque and put a 422 on the rudder giving me 4kg of torque.

Made up a balsa plate for the rx to sit on and ran the servo wires in the fuse. With that fitted next trial fitted the three blade prop. The spinner is perfect for the cowl to scale but has four screws with one screw right where one the of the props will sit. so that's no good so will have to look for another 3.5" spiiner.

So here we so far:

Engine fitted

engine

prop

Prop fitted.

My exhaust extension is slight bent. I will have to order a new one.

exhaust

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 04/03/2014 12:21:51

• 1 month later...

Mark that looks great and sound system is very good.

I have most of the stuff installed now just sorting out the ubec location and possible rx battery location. Still have to find a spinner though. Where have you placed your cofg.

Mike

• 6 months later...

Its been a while but the Stuka had its maiden flight last Thursday. Finally got everything sorted out on it. Setting the ailerons level to the wing was interesting but got it done.

Fitted a 15x8 prop for this flight and needed to add six 70g strips of lead to the nose to get the CofG at 90mm. Flew great will little trimming needed. Happy days.

Mike