First build from plan

Zachattack#9

Advert

Hiya Zachary

How's the Cessna going?  

If you're after something electric - build a Tony Nijhuis Speed 400 electric spitfire or BF109 and put a small brushless and lipo in it. Can't remember the magazine issue (2000 sometime I think) - but if you search for Spitfire on the plans selling website you should find it. These had sheet wings and minimal parts count, but looked very realistic - plus you got two models on one plan! Around 30" wingspan, loads of room for radio, nice planes.

Being small they are easy to repair, and if you use a lightweight brushless setup they should be lightweight, and so a bit easier to fly. They were deisgned to fly with 8-cell Nicad and 6-volt brushed speed 400 motor and with this setup they are fast and a bit on the heavily loaded side. Not ideal if you're just starting.

I'm not quite sure what stage you're at fyling skills wise Zachary, but if the above sound a bit hairy, you could go for the Triple Threat plan that was recently issued (September 2007). This may not look very exciting BUT; the wing build is a bit more involved than just a sheet wing - so you'll learn some building skills, it's a slow flying plane so you should be able to fly it on your own and pick up flying skills, it's lightweight so it will repair easily, and it's electric - which means quiet - so you should be able to get away with flying it on a football field without annoying anyone.

If your flying skills are just a gnats nadger below hot dog, then you could try the Nigel Hawes 45" tucano (2001 ish I think) or Tony's 25 powered spitfire. The wood packs for the latter may still be available, in which case you will not have to spend anywhere near as much time cutting out parts. I've flown the Tucano - it's a beaut. Sheet wings, nothing too complicated build-wise, takes a wide variety of gear, flies very well. The Spitfire is awaiting space on the building board

Hope this helps

AlistairT

We all like Spitfires and Me (Bf)109 but is it a very good first aircraft?

I personally would go for a Cessna or a Bushwacker, if i could not bring myself to build something like those, I would go for a Pete Miller Werewulf.

If I was more experienced in that I could fly a model, A Pete Miller Denight Special would do, simple construction, pretty to look at, keep it light and i am sure it will fly well.

Erfolg

Hiya Erfolg

generally a spitfire is not ideal, but the small, speed 400 powered (30" wingspan) versions designed by Tony should be a bit more user friendly, particularly with modern brushless motors and lipos.

Zach - I believe you live down under - is there a club near you? It might help if we knew a bit more about whereabouts you are (middle of nowhere or in the suburbs), then we can recommend something appropriate.

AlistairT

Hiya Zachary

there's allways;

Hobart Rotor Sport (model helis mainly but also fixed wing)

Hobart Model Aero Club

Hobart Phantom Flyers

Apparently there used to be a club called North West Aeromodellers but the web site is dead. Google's cache of the website says;

N.W.A. is a small aeromodelling club based in the North West of Tasmania.

Our club is currently flying at Highclere, south of Burnie, and our slope soaring sites are at Don and Braddons Lookout, near Devonport. New members of any level of experience, from complete beginners to advanced, are always most welcome to join.

We hope you enjoy this website - the contents are updated regularly, and the weather links give up-to-the-minute forecasts: Burnie for the field, Devonport for slope soaring.

As I say - the website is a goner now, but for contact details elsewhere on the WWW see;

NW Aeromodellers, Tasmania

Can't promise that this is up to date - but it's a start

AlistairT

The "Telegraph" have just run a supplement on holidaying in Tasmania. Seems you have the best of everything there, beaches, open spaces, wild life.

Any way, now you have made your first landing, it must be time to consider your next aeroplane.  I personally would advice either

• Multiplex Easy Star
  • Graupner Uhu

I have seen many of these models flown successfully by novices, they are particularly forgiving, handle strongish wind well and have a degree of bounce when making a forceful landing.

Forget the Spitfires for a week or two.

Another model that flies well is the GWS Formosa 2, but is not as robust by a long way as the German two. But could be a lot cheaper in Australia.

It could well be that an Australian clone exists, that gets over the price issue, as there appears to be a number of kit makers, in the "Land of the Vegeimite Sandwich" where as in Pompi we have very little.

Regards from the Erfolg the Linguist