I hope the dawn don't break

Plummet

I hope the Dawn Flyer don't break.

Momentous news. Today Plummet did balsa-bashing.

Long story involving building work, (new window and extractor) and family health problems (mother-in-Law - please please don't ask) have meant that I have not been able to commit aeromodelling for flamming ages.

Over the last few weeks I have managed to

1. Get a load of rubbish out of the cellar.
  2. Get an old rickety table based upon an Ikea shelf that is too low to work on out of the place.
  3. Fit a rack obtained because it was a forgotten lot in an auction (got for nowt) on the wall so that I can compress my wing storage so that I can now possible swing a caterpillar.
  4. Find (nearly) all the bits of another table (again acquired for nowt) and assembled it.
  5. Bought the bits that meant that I had to say "nearly" in 4. (cheap) and fitted them.
  6. Did major Indian cooking exploits for a long planned family get-together. That was last night.

So today...

I put one of my building boards on the table and spread my photocopy of the Dawn Flyer plan (p1 of 2) over it.

I looked for some film to cover it. Could find none. (See 1. above) I noticed that the laser cut bits from DBS&S came in a poly bag just the right size to be split open to do the job

I went to get my magazine copy of the Dawn Flyer build article. It has been tidied somewhere. Better do something else for a moment.

So...

I laminated some balsa and ply to make some servo rails for the Barnstormer that I was building for last years build. I actually cut and glued some balsa. Yippee.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 02/03/2014 20:09:07

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/03/2014 20:31:14

Advert

Well its a start Plummet!

Remember the old saying "if you stick just one piece of wood to another piece of wood each day then eventually you'll have.....a lot of pieces of wood stuck together"!

BEB

PS Edited naughty - unPlummet-like - word out of post! Hang your head in shame - 15 mins on the naughty step for you!

Plummet,

well done for starting, Interesting point is that my laser cut Dawn Flyer came from SLEC. Although I ordered it from Myhobbystore it came direct from SLEC, looks very nice. my workshop has had a tidy today and another project has been progressed (lathe modification).

John M

Posted by John Manning on 02/03/2014 20:51:42:

Plummet,

well done for starting, Interesting point is that my laser cut Dawn Flyer came from SLEC. Although I ordered it from Myhobbystore it came direct from SLEC, looks very nice. my workshop has had a tidy today and another project has been progressed (lathe modification).

John M

You are right of course. I must have overstretched my brain cell. The Barnstormer was DBS&S. The Dawn flyer was Myhobbystore. Please don't ask me where I they get their poly bags from.

Plummet

Hello Folks.

Now I have started I can better understand the former F4 problem. Thanks to those who highlighted it.

I have compared my laser cut F4 with the flat view on the plan, and it seems to be about the right size. However when I compare it with the fuselage top view it seems too narrow.

Because the fuselage sides slope I am finding it difficult to measure or work out what width it should be.

Does anyone have good dimensions please?

Plummet