Westland Whirlwind

A.A. Barry

You asked for it,  WESTLAND WHIRLWIND...and so, the building is complete, the "girl" is painted, in it's preflight colour, ( in it's underwear) and apart from the radio gear, mixing the rudder, and the ailerons/ flaperons,engine "run ups",and of course, fitting the retracts after a couple of agonizing flights, the "battle dress" along with all other detail, will be applied. SO there we are, - thanks to all you guy's who have given me encouragement to get this unique, model finished, I hope you have enjoyed this "posting" as much as I have bringing it to you all. David/ Graham and of course Tony(he did have a little input), THANKS, I will post a flying Video of it' first (maybe only) performance. the following pic 's is how it turned out........... any comments?????            Barry  

Advert

Thanks for. Not only taking the time to post the pictures and the comments too. Excellent post and all the little kinks you hit along the the way talked about and how you got over the problems. I wish that I could have half your motivation.

• 2 weeks later...
WEll that didn't happen, all set up to sync the motors down at the field, (time ran out at home + noise) get to check all the movements on the carbs, NOTHING, few of the guys helped out,checked out one "on board"  all woking there........time slipping away.. all came to conclusion , wiring in wing at fault... Dam it,s inside the main spar... take it home,  sat down had a thought....mmmm maybe before doing "open heart sugery" on wing..... check out other "on board".... yep there it was, plug in the wrong way around, sucking all the signal messages,GREAT. no more operation needed........... moral of this..........buy new eyeseeing pieces. still waiting on decal's................... more next week    Barry 

• 3 weeks later...
 WELL , IT"S sensaional in the air, wind abated for about 3hrs today, so my mate and I decided IT"S time,to test the WHIRLY out...not fly it but taxi runs and all......Brad, club Pesi, on the the "sticks", Ok "engines running sweet, let's taxi her around," headed into the breeze, gave a little bit of throttle ,to get her moving, 10 yards and the tail was "up', so he gave some more go juice, and it flew straight off the ground, genle climb, left hand turning,... adj the alerion, abit, and away in air it went, 5 mins up gentle fig ' 8 and time to land. "baz, crank the the flap's down", "I'm on base leg" "OK," bit by bit, and  then he say's " Baz, nohing is happening" my reply, "OK, they all the way down....."turn's ito "finals" , yep "they are down ", no pitch, not one inckling, of wing drop, Flat as you ever could imagine, from 50ft, in a matter of 100 mts it settled  down on it's wheels no flare  or unuasual behavior, JUST "kiss the gound and rolled to a stop,  15mnths on the wing, started the  model  in 1999, ALL came DOWN to TODAY, am I proud??? you f........g betcha. will add some pic's, next weekend take a video, and "post it"   Barry 

Thanks, Whistler, for your comment's, don't know where all the other guy's who supported me, comments are, maybe too many, apart from Antnee and David, great to see that you are "keeping the dream alive", What size is it, just remember to keep all incidences to 0 deg, tail plane> wing> engines.  IT works......... send a pic.........Barry

PM stands for "Private Message" its like email but without giving away your email address. You will see at the bottom of most posts in gray the words "Message member" if you click on this you can send a message to that member which will only go to that individual.

You will see at the top of this page on the left  "-My Inbox" this is where the messages are received.