How do you attach your reciever?

birdy

In another thread someone asked me how I attached my reciever to my airframe. I did it using cable ties holding the thing back against a polystyrene backing plate (or whatever you want to call it). I got the idea, being a beginner, from a picture in the fine publication RCM&E. I'me sure that everyone has their own way of doing it and sure many others appart from he and I would like to hear about it...

Advert

Of course many peeps just wedge em in a block of soft spongy foam, and then velcro that to the airframe. There as usual, many ways to skin a cat as it were.... the important thing is to provide some protection against vibration

( if in a smelly dirty slimey ...ooops sorry got carried away there for a minute - if in an IC model especially) 

.....and of course some crash protection in the event of the inevitable .

• 4 weeks later...

In the receiver there are two and sometimes three Crystals in the recever depending on if they are single or double conversion. Most modelers know about the crystal that they change to move the operating frequency but there is also an IF resonator crystal .

All these crystals work by vibrating at very high frequencies in the  Khz and Mhz range and the construction is very thin  ( modeling film thick ) and placed in between to spring contacts in that little metal device you put in the transmitter and receiver. These devices are very delicate and must be protected against all vibrations yes even in gliders. See Bob Cotsford's post .............."1/2" thick foam and rubber bands" the only way . In electric models the vibration is very high and you would be suprised about the vibration coming from the high pulsed current from the motor  into the airframe.

In electric models the vibration is very high

Compared to IC engined models, most electric models I have  / I have seen, do not exhibity very high levels of vibration. Sure, they pulse a little from the ESC and motor timing, but if the prop is well balanced, then they are usually pretty smooth.

personally I worry more about impact protection in gliders and electrics, and with ic the vibration I'm trying to prevent is the sort that rattles crystals out of the holder or fatigues soldered joints in wiring.  In days gone by the biggest risk from vibration was a mechanical failure of a component lead, but with modern surface mount technology I'm guessing nothing short of a turbine will reach the sort of frequencies to cause resonance problems!